The Jeep With No Name Teardown and Rebuild - Page 77 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The Jeep With No Name Teardown and Rebuild

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #1141
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Sorry to hear that Fred,

B

1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #1142
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Dang, Fred.... I'm really sorry to hear that. Your attitude is good! Lifting you up.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:52 PM   #1143
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Well, folks, I gotta take a hiatus from the CJ.......the Beltway Boys, in their infinite wisdom, haven't been obeying the Constitution; budget cuts in the military have wreaked havoc everywhere, and yesterday seven of my co-workers and I became the latest casualties of the sequester. Long story short, Brooke and I are going to be fine...my job was basically just f-you money, so now I just won't get to say f-you as much. I'll tinker here and there, but no more going balls to the wall buying hard-to-find parts.
Fred are you telling me the scum in DC is supposed to obey the Constitution????? In reading way back to the founding one of the big reasons to tax people was so we could have a military to protect this country. That was the federal governments primary reason to exist. Now they have no reason to exist! Pond scum, low life belly dragging deadbeats! No I take it back...pond scum is far better than the DC crowd. We are moving away from being the leading supper power in the world to a nation that is falling apart. It's not an accident either. YES lets send more F-16s to the terrorist in Egypt. Why not just let Iran have some too! But we must make cuts here at home and we must maintain the lavish perks that go along with being elected to office! Fred there's allot of times when I want to do far worse than kick these people in the groin! I've vented...some

Sorry to hear about the job. I'm glad you're covered on the main expenses for living though. I've got a friend in our church that was in the Air Force and he was booted out due to cuts. That happened shortly after the head slime bucket was sworn in but they want everyone to think these cuts are because of the sequester. To me it's a deliberate plan to undermine our defense. I have to spool down Fred. Sorry to get cranked up on this here on your thread. I do wish you all the best. Stay active on here though, we appreciate you being around
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 05:57 AM   #1144
Jeeper44mag
1978 CJ7 

Well said, Jim.

Luis
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:06 AM   #1145
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Guys I really appreciate all the kind words. Just to clarify, I'm retired from the army but the contract that I was working under was held by the Army. Either way in the end it really is a blessing in disguise because now I can focus on what's really important to me, my family my home and my CJ.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 07:39 AM   #1146
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Glad to hear things will be fine for you's. Regarding the Jeep, let me know if there are still any small hard to find parts you need. Got a guy in my town parting out a '76 for cheap.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #1147
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore
Glad to hear things will be fine for you's. Regarding the Jeep, let me know if there are still any small hard to find parts you need. Got a guy in my town parting out a '76 for cheap.
I'm pretty sure I have everything that I need as far as hard-to-find parts go. The only thing I really need to focus on now is getting the Mechanical parts to put it back together. I do have one question for everybody though, I have the shifter cover plates from a 75 that I found on eBay a long time ago... Does anybody know if that part is the same as the 76, because I know that the shift boots were different

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #1148
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Bummer on the job. Seems like only yesterday I lost mine. I'm glad you guys are covered.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:58 PM   #1149
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Oh how I wish I had been smart like you, Fred. I have so many regrets for not having joined the military. I tried at 31 but every branch said I was too old, except the navy, who said I had one too many dependents! I have tried to convince my boys to join, but the military future is unknown with our current leadership, and I'm concerned the boys wouldn't get out of it the things that I think are traditionally important. My third son talks about flying fighters or choppers (he's into RC flying)... maybe he will be the one to do it. Do you think the retirement option will still be available after 20 years? I'm concerned that that won't even be an option in the future. I have to wave my cap at all you Vets out there. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 08-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #1150
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Oh how I wish I had been smart like you, Fred. I have so many regrets for not having joined the military. I tried at 31 but every branch said I was too old, except the navy, who said I had one too many dependents! I have tried to convince my boys to join, but the military future is unknown with our current leadership, and I'm concerned the boys wouldn't get out of it the things that I think are traditionally important. My third son talks about flying fighters or choppers (he's into RC flying)... maybe he will be the one to do it. Do you think the retirement option will still be available after 20 years? I'm concerned that that won't even be an option in the future. I have to wave my cap at all you Vets out there. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
Scott, I fear that the days of doing 20 years and retiring may come to an end one day in the near future. Right before I retired, there was talk that a California congresswoman had floated the idea that military retirees wouldn't be eligible to touch their retirement benefits, until the age of 62. It never went anywhere, but it sure as hell sowed the seeds of doubt in many of us. What incentive would there be to give 20 years of your life?

Already, they've reduced health care benefits; I no longer have free dental, however I can purchase dental insurance for $102/month....I'll keep brushing my teeth three times a day and keep the cash for something more important.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 10-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #1151
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Well guys, it's been almost two months. Nothing much to report, other than the fact that I scored a completely intact 1976 dash and a 1976 AM radio!!!!!! The radio needs some fixing, but everything is there to make it work.

It's also been almost one month, since I was laid off, and I can say that I am finally truly at peace. Stress is completely gone, I've been taking care of the house and I am totally happy. Who knew that all I needed to be happy was to be let go from work?

Mikey is finally coming around to being Daddy's boy and is taking an interest in what I do....yesterday he helped me repaint and remount the passenger-side running board on my F-350....very proud moment for me. He's also been bugging me about going deer hunting, so I'm enrolling him in a hunter's safety course first.

I also decided that I don't like taking my 3-wheeler out by myself, so I'm fixing up my 1985 Kawasaki KLT 160 and I'm going to give it to Mikey for his birthday in December.

Life is truly good, folks. I should have stopped working a long time ago.

Here's the pics of the dash and the radio.
1976-dash_001.jpg   1976-radio_001.jpg  

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 10-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #1152
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Good job, Fred. I have gleaned more fun and satisfaction from my family than anything else I have done. That is a gift that just gives and gives and gives. Congrats on the parts score. And special kudos to finding the "easy lane" in life. No reason to be stressed.

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #1153
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Does anyone happen to have a close-up picture of, or a manufacturer/part number for, the red reflector on the side spare tire carrier? I have an original carrier but no reflector.

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 10-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #1154
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

No one? Come on, someone's got to be a bigger geek than me, when it comes to getting these part numbers, LOL!

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 11-03-2013, 05:34 AM   #1155
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Alright, since no one seems to know what the part number for the reflector is supposed to be, the hunt continues.

On a brighter note, I found a guy courtesy of the CJ-8 forum by the name of Greg Thompson who will restore my radio. He's going to keep it AM but add an auxiliary input for my iPod. If you guys need work done, he's the man. Here's his info:

Greg Thompson
S&M Electro-Tech, Inc
8836 Xylite St NE
Blaine, MN 55449
(Toll Free in US) (877)780-2861
(763)780-2861
www.turnswitch.com

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.