The Jeep With No Name Teardown and Rebuild - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The Jeep With No Name Teardown and Rebuild

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!

Unread 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM   #46
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Fantastic! No such thing as too many pics posted and I'm in for the long haul on this one....especially if it turns out as nice as Keith460's (or Exposed, or 243, or Coiz, or...the list goes on)

Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #47
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgil View Post
Nice work!

keep going!!!

Regards,

Gilles
Merci, Gilles. Je suis sur que je te demaderai ton avis pour réparer mes axes.

Frédéric

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

Grammar Test
FLynes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2011, 05:40 PM   #48
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickingprop View Post
Fantastic! No such thing as too many pics posted and I'm in for the long haul on this one....especially if it turns out as nice as Keith460's (or Exposed, or 243, or Coiz, or...the list goes on)
I can only hope that it turns out as nice as theirs...I'm pretty anal retentive, so we'll see.

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 09-06-2011, 08:21 PM   #49
Guy Smilie

1978 CJ5 

Anal retentive = $$$$$ Looking forward to the build
Guy Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #50
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

So I didn't get a thing done yesterday...went home from work sick with a fever and Montezuma's Revenge. I'm going to take the interior out today. I also want to take the drivetrain out, but I have a few questions:

1) Would it be wiser to take the body off first, then take the drivetrain out?

2) When taking the drivetrain out, would you take it out as one unit, or would you take engine out first, then take tranny and transfer case out?

I'm kinda leaning towards taking the engine out by itself, because I can then put it right on the engine stand.

3) What size bolts do I need to secure the engine to the stand? I know I'll be using Grade 8, but I've heard that there are different sizes on the block.

Camera is charged, so I'll post pics tonight.

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:15 PM   #51
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

I'd take the body off first, then the drive line. It'd make separating them easier, since I like your idea of going directly to the engine stand.

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #52
stgil
1982 CJ7 

Hello Fred,

I've done following in 4 days (alone):

1- Tub (need to be 3 at least)
2- Engine
3- exhaust + gas tank + gas line + brake line
4- tranny + transfert case + axles shafts
4b- powersteering/steering
5- then Front and rear axle

Of course, take a LOT of pics and ... share them

BTW, you write a very good french!

Regards,

Gilles
Unread 09-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #53
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Gilles,

Je suis Américain et Français...ma mère est Arlésienne. Elle est venue aux Étas Unis en 1968 comme professeur d'échange et a marié mon père en 1972; ma tante vie toujours à Arles.

So, based on your and Cutlass327's suggestion, I'm going to take the body off first. I have a New Holland tractor, so I can pull it off myself...it'll lift 850lbs with no problem, and I don't think the tub weighs anywhere near that.

With the tub off, I'll have free access to disconnect the engine from the tranny and then pull it and put it on the engine stand. Then I'll take the drive shafts out and then the tranny/transfer case. The fuel tank will follow after that, then it will just be a matter of taking the tires/wheels off, putting the frame on jack stands and dropping the axles.

Power steering is already off...I had free access to it, when I took the fenders and grill off.

Okay, so that's my battle plan.

Thanks guys.

By the way, Gilles, I love that song, but my CJ is The Jeep With No Name because of my hero:

Fred

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:03 PM   #54
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327 View Post
I'd take the body off first, then the drive line. It'd make separating them easier, since I like your idea of going directly to the engine stand.
Agree... and I'd pull the drivetrain as one. It's easier to separate when you're not lying on your back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLynes View Post
Gilles,

Je suis Américain et Français...ma mère est Arlésienne. Elle est venue aux Étas Unis en 1968 comme professeur d'échange et a marié mon père en 1972; ma tante vie toujours à Arles.

So, based on your and Cutlass327's suggestion, I'm going to take the body off first. I have a New Holland tractor, so I can pull it off myself...it'll lift 850lbs with no problem, and I don't think the tub weighs anywhere near that.

With the tub off, I'll have free access to disconnect the engine from the tranny and then pull it and put it on the engine stand. Then I'll take the drive shafts out and then the tranny/transfer case. The fuel tank will follow after that, then it will just be a matter of taking the tires/wheels off, putting the frame on jack stands and dropping the axles.

Power steering is already off...I had free access to it, when I took the fenders and grill off.

Okay, so that's my battle plan.

Thanks guys.

By the way, Gilles, I love that song, but my CJ is The Jeep With No Name because of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slsiOkYprDg

Fred
The town of Lago... High Plains Drifter!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #55
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Fred take the body off first then move to the engine, tranny and transfer case. Then start on the axles and everything else attached to the frame. You're going to powder coat the frame so what works pretty good is to get that done first then start on your axles, cleaning, refurbishing and paint. That way as you get things ready to go bak together you can bolt them onto a nice clean frame.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #56
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

with the exception of John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn, it is virtually impossible to beat Clint in any of his westerns...well, I can't forget about Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles...

oh, and subscribed because of ALL the pictures!
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:50 PM   #57
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Got some more work done today, but not as much as I would have liked. Then again, I have high expectations of myself. Took the interior out, then the JK steering column and wheel (from a '93 Cherokee), then the dash, wiring and heater. Found a whole bunch of leaves in the heater box, which you can see a bit of a blurry pic. Also found a date stamp on the back of the heater box, November 17 1975. I'm pretty sure the heater core's never been replaced either, but it will be.

Fred
hpim2286.jpg   hpim2287.jpg   hpim2288.jpg   hpim2289.jpg   hpim2290.jpg  

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #58
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

Taking this stuff out was a lot easier than I thought it would be. One of my heater cables needs to be repaired, but it's nothing that epoxy can't fix.
hpim2291.jpg   hpim2292.jpg   hpim2293.jpg   hpim2294.jpg   hpim2295.jpg  

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #59
FLynes
Web Wheeler

1976 CJ5 

I'd like to be able to salvage the dash, so I'm going to find a piece of metal and weld it in where the PO cut out an opening for the aftermarket radio. I'm pretty sure that the "Made in Taiwan" speaker mounted on the firewall isn't original either.
hpim2296.jpg   hpim2297.jpg   hpim2298.jpg   hpim2299.jpg   hpim2300.jpg  

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Grammar Test
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #60
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Dang Fred... you are flying with the tear down. I am procrastinating tearing mine down.... weather is still nice.

Paul

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.