2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #2836 of 2848 Old 06-02-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
FLynes
1976 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyboat
the website isn't too friendly, but there's an arrow under the brake lines visible in the link I posted to page over. The fuel lines are on the 2nd page, but that doesn't stick to the link... clear as mud? **and I agree with Guy. They aren't perfect, but a better option over O/A
LOL, clear as mud. Omix is dragging their feet on the return authorization to EAD Off-road, so as soon as I can return it & get a refund, I'll figure out whether I use Classic or Inline.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
Black Wellington Vinyl Bench Seats
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed
3.54:1 Open Gears

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2837 of 2848 Old 06-02-2017, 12:03 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Might be too late for this, Fred, but I used the green colored sticks of brake line from Auto Zone to make my fuel lines. Inexpensive and easy to bend with your hands. Slid the rubber lines over the ends and clamped them in place. No problems so far.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #2838 of 2848 Old 06-03-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
FLynes
1976 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr
Might be too late for this, Fred, but I used the green colored sticks of brake line from Auto Zone to make my fuel lines. Inexpensive and easy to bend with your hands. Slid the rubber lines over the ends and clamped them in place. No problems so far.
Scott, do they have one long line, or did you have to use several? If it's the latter, I'm leery about doing that, for fear of leaks.

Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2839 of 2848 Old 06-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

Wanna say they had up to 6' lines. IIRC, I used two sticks and joined them with the factory connectors. Be advised, I am running about 100 psi through this line with zero issues for several years. It has worked well.

edit* This tubing can also be bought in a bulk spool, but I don't know how much that costs. Just thinking about it in case you still want to stay away from a joint in the line.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
post #2840 of 2848 Old 06-03-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
FLynes
1976 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
....Be advised, I am running about 100 psi through this line with zero issues for several years. It has worked well...
100 psi??? Did you buy VEX, Scott?

Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

post #2841 of 2848 Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

No, Silly! I'm fuel injected!! I did the 4.0 swap in Clay's Jeep.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

post #2842 of 2848 Old 06-05-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
FLynes
1976 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
No, Silly! I'm fuel injected!! I did the 4.0 swap in Clay's Jeep.
The return line pressure is that high w/ EFI? Jesus!

Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

post #2843 of 2848 Old 06-06-2017, 04:32 PM
Skerr
1985 CJ7 

meh... maybe it's 70... I'm just saying you won't have an issue using the brake line.

Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

post #2844 of 2848 Old 06-06-2017, 09:29 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Fred another thing to keep in mind is using hose around the gas we have now and making sure they are compatible. I do believe the return line pressure on most efi systems drops allot.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #2845 of 2848 Old 06-07-2017, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
FLynes
1976 CJ5 

Garage
Another thing that's been bugging me is this damned heat soak that occurs on shutdown. In the winter it's not an issue at all, but as soon as it gets warm, that exhaust manifold just cooks everything. In addition, when I'm running down the road, I'm nice and cool, but as soon as I sit for more than a couple of minutes idling, the temp gauge goes up. I bit the bullet and went to O'Reilly's and bought a 12" electric fan. I installed it today, setting it up as a pusher, using a 4-prong relay and in-line fuse, with a switch on my dash. I used the available Emergency Drive harness under the hood as my ignition source, so that when I turn the fan on, the Emergency Drive light comes on, letting me know it's working. I took the Jeep out on a run for some ice cream, let it idle and turned on the fan....gauge didn't even flinch. The rad is relatively newish and aluminum, and I have the 7-blade HD fan. I also installed a new thermostat at the same time. I even have Water Wetter, but it's the electric pushing an extra 800cfm that's making the difference.

Will it help with the heat soak issue? Doubtful, so I think I'm going to fab up a thin piece of aluminum plate and place it over the phenolic spacer and have it act as a dissipator...I remember Ford did this with one of their 4BBL setups in the 70's. We'll see if it works.
Attached Images

Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

post #2846 of 2848 Old 06-07-2017, 06:47 AM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Fred have you considered adding louvers?

I use the same fan with an adjustable thermostat control. Set the fan to pull and the fan will evacuate the hot air through the radiator after engine shutdown until the thermostat turns it off. I had the same problem with my RV and I added an Atwood marine 300 CFM evacuation blower. I used the same type control.

Bob--another retired GI

-----

Paved roads are prime examples of government over spending!
post #2847 of 2848 Old 06-07-2017, 07:35 AM
fishadventure
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You can get an adjustable delay timer/relay on Amazon. Like $10. Set it for like two minutes to run the fan after ignition is hut off.
That may help.

The delay relay can be wired such that when you shut the ignition off, the relay is triggered. The contacts close, and feed power to your high-amp relay, firing up the fan. Then it shuts off after whatever time length you set the delay relay for. (A lot of new cars will run the fan until the temp drops and the sender cuts out, so this isn't that unusual. But I'll admit it's disconcerting to think of using the battery while the vehicle is not running, at least to an old school thinker like me. However, it bothers my mind a lot less than punching louvre in the hood of a classic LOL)

EDIT: fwiw I'd put the timer/relay under the dash, not in the engine compartment. It's only sending trigger voltage not powering the fan directly, so the wire length really won't matter, I just don't think those little IC relays were designed to live under the hood of a vehicle. Oh, and I see another response along similar lines now.

Shackles and D-rings: different things!
Cranking IS turning over
post #2848 of 2848 Old 06-07-2017, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
FLynes
1976 CJ5 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Fred have you considered adding louvers?...Bob--another retired GI
Bob, that thought never once entered my mind, nor will it, no offense. I just can not bring myself to butcher a rare CJ (only one painted that color, until that one gal comes back with pics of her dad's). I'm already not happy about not being able to keep my Jeep stock, by having to add the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure View Post
You can get an adjustable delay timer/relay on Amazon. Like $10. Set it for like two minutes to run the fan after ignition is hut off.
That may help.

The delay relay can be wired such that when you shut the ignition off, the relay is triggered. The contacts close, and feed power to your high-amp relay, firing up the fan. Then it shuts off after whatever time length you set the delay relay for. (A lot of new cars will run the fan until the temp drops and the sender cuts out, so this isn't that unusual. But I'll admit it's disconcerting to think of using the battery while the vehicle is not running, at least to an old school thinker like me. However, it bothers my mind a lot less than punching louvre in the hood of a classic LOL)

EDIT: fwiw I'd put the timer/relay under the dash, not in the engine compartment. It's only sending trigger voltage not powering the fan directly, so the wire length really won't matter, I just don't think those little IC relays were designed to live under the hood of a vehicle. Oh, and I see another response along similar lines now.
I was going to get the Hayden thermostat kit for the fan but decided against it. I might, however, get a delay relay.

Fred
Retired Army Guy

High Plains Drifter
1976 CJ-5
Lime Green
258 I-6 1bbl
T-150 3-Speed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.