Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

The Jeep With No Name Teardown and Rebuild

351K views 3K replies 141 participants last post by  FLynes 
#1 ·
The Jeep With No Name Teardown and Rebuild (Lots of Pics)

Okay folks, we finally had a day of great weather, temperature was lowest it's been in months, so I decided to finally start the teardown on The Jeep With No Name. The plan is to restore it back to original showroom condition. I want it to look as nice as Keith460's. This build is going to take years, so be patient. I took a load of pictures today; let me know what I'm doing right, or what I could be doing smarter.

Fred

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
More pics

Attachments

#3 ·
Drew first blood.

Attachments

#4 ·
Something's not right with that rear leaf spring....

Attachments

#5 ·
Airing up the tires for its last ride, before the teardown.

Attachments

#6 ·
Coming back from the last ride with Mikey.

Attachments

#7 ·
Somehow, I don't think the Delco Remy horn is original, but the windshield washer bottle is.

Attachments

#8 ·
I forgot how much fun this is.

Attachments

#9 ·
Definitely better than Lexapro...

Attachments

#10 ·
The lower radiator hose didn't want to go easy, so I sliced it.

Attachments

#11 ·
Renee was my documentarian and Mikey was my go-for.

Attachments

#12 ·
First in :D

Frederick, after three years on my build I can say that I would never attempt a project of this magnitude again unless I had the entire vehicle sandblasted by a professional. I wasted more time and money with wire wheels, flap discs and other creations stripping metal than I have on any other part of the build. Next time I will trailer the chassis to a shop, have it stripped and take it straight home and spray it with epoxy primer. Then I would do the same with the body after taking photos of the damage that would need metal repair.

Good luck with your project!

#19 ·
First in :D

Frederick, after three years on my build I can say that I would never attempt a project of this magnitude again unless I had the entire vehicle sandblasted by a professional. I wasted more time and money with wire wheels, flap discs and other creations stripping metal than I have on any other part of the build. Next time I will trailer the chassis to a shop, have it stripped and take it straight home and spray it with epoxy primer. Then I would do the same with the body after taking photos of the damage that would need metal repair.

Good luck with your project!
Given the shape of the body, I think a new one from Willys Overland is in order. The only thing from the body that's salvageable is the hood and maybe the grill. The driver's fender is from a 1984 Renegade...who knows what the passenger side fender is from.

There is a sandblaster in town, which is where the frame is going to go, and then it's going to get powdercoated by them, while it's there.

Thanks for the advice and input.

Fred

#13 ·
Whoever decided to paint this engine yellow and green should be shot. Crappy 3" body lift goes bye bye too.

Attachments

#14 ·
Proud day for me, when my little buddy asked me if he could turn a wrench, so I let him take the power steering pump off. Not quite sure if the power steering was original or not.

Attachments

#15 ·
Had to Sawzall the bumper, to get to the bolts. Time to drain the oil.

Attachments

#16 ·
Wouldn't you know the wind kicked up and I got an oil bath...battery on the camera went dead, but I got the carb, intake and crappy Heddman headers off too...that's all for today.

Attachments

#20 ·
Subscribed! Go Go Go! :thumbsup:

#22 ·
Paul, you ain't kidding!!! I woke up sore as hell this morning and a bit sunburnt! Whoever said 38 was the new 28 is full of crap, because I didn't feel like this, when I tore my '72 Suburban down 10 years ago.

I did make an interesting discovery, though. When I took the Carter YF off, I finally got a look at the serial number, which is 7039S. When I looked at my parts manual, I found that 7039S is for a 1975 model. This makes sense, since my fuel tank is also from a 1975, as it has the 6.5" filler tube and longer vent tube, so I think the carb is original. My CJ-5 was built in December 1975, and I think that they used leftover parts from '75 to build the first '76 models. The engine is stamped 811A07, November 7, 1975 258 1bbl. The EGR is also stamped 17050471 (looks like an AC Delco number), which is for a 1975.

I also took the time to see why the distributor was so out of whack, so I used JH's lengthy methodology to get the #1 piston to TDC...sorry Aaron, but I'm a KISS kinda guy; took me less than two minutes to do it...hardest part was turning the engine over...result is the damper is dead on, which made me happy, and the rotor fell right into place. The firing order was correct, so the PO must have just wired it, based on where the rotor was at the time. Prestolite might not be the preferred distributor, but I like it, because it reminds me of the old Dodge 360 distributor...you're either right on or 180* out, pretty hard to f*** up.

Going to Fredericksburg today with the wife and some friends...I really want to wrench some more and get the engine and tranny out, but good German food and beer is calling my name.

That's all for now.

Fred

#23 ·
Looks like a big project! Good luck, and enjoy the time with the kids! I hope they can stick it out with you, but I know how school schedules can really mess that up.

Just a question though. In post 4, the one picture looking at the rear axle from behind. Is the left spring perch twisted up from the spring? It doesn't look straight in the picture.

#35 ·
Looks like a big project! Good luck, and enjoy the time with the kids! I hope they can stick it out with you, but I know how school schedules can really mess that up.

Just a question though. In post 4, the one picture looking at the rear axle from behind. Is the left spring perch twisted up from the spring? It doesn't look straight in the picture.
Yeah, it's twisted, and I don't know why....because of the flat tire maybe? Either way, the springs are getting replaced.

On edit: I just went out and took a look at it...still twisted with the tire aired up, so I don't know what happened.

Fred

#24 ·
Today's pics.

The intake manifold is stamped 11 7 75, so at least that's original too.

Prestolite distributor in the right position.

Fred

Attachments

#26 ·
Hi Fred. I'll be subscribing right after this post.

Advice...treat very part as though it could be the very last original CJ part in the world. You've already started by taking pictures and that's a very big help, I can't say how many times I see things that I missed just by looking at a picure. I think you're doing good by having the frame blasted and powder coated too. Keeping it factory original is a great idea. Anytime you start adding a different engine or drivetrain you really increase the work.

Nice to see the family involved and glad the 3" body lift is going away. Enjoy the work Fred. :thumbsup:

#27 ·
SKT said:

Count me in on following this build!

Just curious if this CJ has a sentimental value, as it seems to be in really rough shape for a full blown restoration similiar to Keith's?

No sentimental value, just an inexplicable need to put things back to the way they were. I can't fix myself, so it gives me satisfaction to fix what I can.

Fred

#30 ·

No sentimental value, just an inexplicable need to put things back to the way they were.

I can't fix myself, so it gives me satisfaction to fix what I can.

Fred
Gotcha - I was just curious, thanks!

Best of luck, and again, I'm looking forward to following along!