Jeep keeps dying- fuel problem with video - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep keeps dying- fuel problem with video

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 01-07-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
clerihew82
1977 CJ5 

Jeep keeps dying- fuel problem with video

I have a 77 cj5 with a 258 engine. I have been out the last 2 times and have been stranded both times. I'm not quite sure if it is my fuel pump or what is going on. I replaced my tank and sender a few months ago so that may have a hand in my issue. It will run fine then all of the sudden it dies. In my clear fuel filter it just doesn't look like it is pumping enough fuel. Possible fuel pump or pull the tank again and see if there is a kinked hose? I have had the Jeep for about 14 years and i have never changed the fuel pump.

I posted a link to a video i took of the fuel coming into the clear fuel filter
Click the link below

clerihew82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
clerihew82
1977 CJ5 

no ideas?
clerihew82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
Shiftace
1977 CJ5 

Does your oil smell like gas?
Fuel pump is my guess.

[url]http://www.funnyordie.com/articles/322261cd73/why-internet-commenters-will-eventually-end-the-world[/url]
Shiftace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Looks like you are starving for fuel.
Did you replace the rubber fuel lines lately? Ethanol in today's gas really eats up old fuel lines from the inside out.

Fuel pump? Cheap and easy to change.

Leaks in any fuel lines? Connections where they clamp to the steel lines are a common area.You will suck air instead of fuel.

Rusted pin holes in the steel lines?

Long enough pickup tube on the new sending unit?

Plugged vent tubes?? Remove the gas cap to see if you hear it suck in air.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.