Jeep handling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep handling?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 12-31-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
quade
1984 CJ7 

Jeep handling?

I put my Jeep in 4 wheel drive for the first time today and it seem to turn wider and a lot of pressure on the steering wheel. I have power steering and it just seemed strange compared to 2 wheel drive only?

Anyone else have this problem/symptom? I dont know if I am about to grenade something! I dont want to break anything.

Thanks
Trae

Happy New Year!!!!!

quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
84cjseven
1984 CJ7 

Normal I think. Don't do that an pavement.
Normal turn radi.in 2 wd
wider in 4wd
on a dime in front wheel dig.
84cjseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
I put my Jeep in 4 wheel drive for the first time today and it seem to turn wider and a lot of pressure on the steering wheel. I have power steering and it just seemed strange compared to 2 wheel drive only?:
Sounds normal, when you turn, the front wheels have to travel farther than the back wheels, so one front wheel has to scuff which makes for wider turns. Sometimes it is better to drop back to 2 high for the turn.

Quote:
Anyone else have this problem/symptom? I dont know if I am about to grenade something! I dont want to break anything.
If you were on dry pavement you are very lucky you 'didn't' grenade something. Because of the need to scuff in the front on turns, the drivetrain will wind up tight and explode things like u-joints and I have even seen a t-case blown in pieces.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:47 PM   #4
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Is this strictly a "Jeep Thing"? I only ask because, as dumb teenagers, some friends and I had beater 4X4 pickups, and used to beat them bloody as only teenage kids can. We didn't drive around on dry pavement much in 4Hi, mostly because we weren't sure how fragile the whole system was, and rear wheel drive seemed safer. But, I'm sure we drove around a bit in 4Hi, just dinking around, and no one ever had a big issue with it. We thought the whole issue was how fast you went in 4X4, but we didn't know enough to be worried about turning. So, is "winding up" exacerbated by the short wheel base of a Jeep, and not such a big deal in a full-size pickup truck, or were we just getting lucky?
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:51 PM   #5
sherlocktk
1984 CJ7 

I have often wondered about this "spooling" effect too. What happens when you are in moab and you have far more traction than concrete or asphault. No one there seemed to have a problem, and Im sure not all of them were twin sticked.

Is this limited to higher speed driving, and the slow stuff scuffs tires, which is not a problem then.
sherlocktk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:49 AM   #6
Blue_Bucket
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by -AC- View Post
So, is "winding up" exacerbated by the short wheel base of a Jeep, and not such a big deal in a full-size pickup truck, or were we just getting lucky?
It's not the short wheel base (vs. long) but a wider wheel base (vs. narrow) will cause more of that wheel skip on pavement. As the wheels go around a corner, the outside pair has farther to travel than the inside pair. But it probably has more to do with the fact you were younger then and not really noticing.

Here's something to think about - the outside tracks of a record on a turntable have to move faster than the inside tracks, but the sound isn't distorted. Don't think about it too long.
Blue_Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #7
-AC-
1977 CJ5 

Ouch!!!!! THAT hurt my tiny mind first thing in the morning...

Ok, I think I figured out why (the recording or "pressing" process has the same limitation, so there is less info at the outside of a record and more on the inside, and as the linear speed of the needle in the groove slows down, the added info makes it sound "right"), but that's probably fodder for a different forum...
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #8
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

More than likely, the situation is as suggested by posters above . Another possibility is that you may have a limited slip or locker in the front axle. Check by jacking both front wheels off the ground in 2WD and locking both hubs. Try spinng both tires and see if they turn in the same direction. If they do, try holding one back and if they still turn in the same direction, there may a traction unit of some kind in the diff which would definitely have an effect on turning on a high traction surface like you describe.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherlocktk View Post
I have often wondered about this "spooling" effect too. What happens when you are in moab and you have far more traction than concrete or asphault. No one there seemed to have a problem, and Im sure not all of them were twin sticked.

Is this limited to higher speed driving, and the slow stuff scuffs tires, which is not a problem then.
I find in those situations where I have more traction on the dirt are the times I cannot shift 'out' of 4 low or 4 high because it has wound up tight.

Then I need to goose it in reverse turning a little to unwind before the shifter will release.

I use 4 high just like any other shift up here in Canada. It only costs 1-2 mpg to drive with the hubs locked. It will shift in and out of 4 high at any legal speed. Was in 4 high all day yesterday with the occasional drop to 2 high on long intersection corners.

Basically when I see snow coming, I shift to 4 high and continue on, when I see clear coming, I shift back to 2 high. If it starts to scuff too bad on a long corner, I drop to 2 high. Once I missed the change to dry in the night on the highway and couldn't shift out of 4x4 until I found a place to pull over safely where I could do the reverse thing to unwind it. That was several miles and 1 u-joint too long. It killed one front driveshaft u-joint I knew was getting old, the weakest link....
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #10
84cjseven
1984 CJ7 

Mine will also bind (Locked front and rear). Usually all I have to do is roll straight for a few feet or slight turn in opp. direction while gently pushing the front WD lever and can get out of 4wd. I also have a twin stick shifter which may help some.

The effects described by the OP
84cjseven is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.