Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

jeep exhaust

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Mike Romain 
#1 ·
Ive got an 82 CJ7. ( my first jeep)
When I run with the back window open or the soft top down I get a really strong exhaust smell.
Is this normal or have I got something else going on.?

Ive checked the exhaust manifold and all the connections seem to be tight.
From the manifold back it has all new pipe. so theres no obvious holes.

It seems to be just blowing in from the back. But i dont think it should be this strong.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
Where does the tail pipe terminate? I believe it should be on the very rear corner, drivers side. Sounds like, since you have checked mechanical items, that the exhaust is just being "whirled" or vortexed back into the passenger compartment. You may have/want to change where the tail pipe comes out. (IMO)

#3 ·
Even if your carb is adjusted correctly, not too rich, you will still enjoy those fumes when the back window is open. I am soon to move my single exhaust from the rear to doubles out the side in hopes of reducing fumes from mine. At least that is my excuse for adding headers.

#4 ·
Your exhaust should terminate behind the driver rear wheel pointed downward. If the smell is overwhelming, does it smell like oil? Do you have a ford 256 engine as stated in your profile or the original 4.2L 258? If you have the 258, it cam stock with a plastic valve cover that leaks. You could be getting fumes off the exhaust manifold do to oil leaking. The best fix for that is replacing the valve cover with an aftermarket aluminum one.

#7 ·
I have done the same thing at the same angel and also have no fumes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.