Jeep dies suddenly - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep dies suddenly

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #46
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

What gauge wire are you using?
Your pull'n to many amps through to long a 'run' and under sized wire. That why it's HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a fire hazard!!
STOP driving it till this is fixed......
LG

Unread 08-29-2013, 10:57 AM   #47
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

It's the fuel pump wiring that came with the harness. It is awful thin. I'd guess 16 gauge, maybe 18.

So the hot wires could be the cause of the jeep dying?

Also, the wiring is run down the frame near the exhaust. Should I run it down the opposite side?
Gigemags05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #48
SLO_Ken
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
What gauge wire are you using?
Your pull'n to many amps through to long a 'run' and under sized wire. That why it's HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is a fire hazard!!
STOP driving it till this is fixed......
LG
What gauge wire do you suggest? I also just installed an electric fuel pump near the tank. The pump reportedly pulls ~5A, although I have not personally measured it. I used 12awg stranded wire for power and ground.
SLO_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #49
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

12 ga. stranded is good.
Also measure votes at the pump. You must see at least 12VDC. DC motors don't like lower voltage than what they are rated for.
YES, get the wire away from exhaust heat. Bet you may have some burned insulation that is grounding the hot wire.
LG
Unread 08-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #50
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Thanks! I bet that's it, too
Unread 09-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #51
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Update:

Replaced all the fuel pump wiring and rerouted it along the opposite rail.

It's only been driven about 5 miles, but it didn't die. I've got my fingers crossed that it fixed the problem.
Unread 09-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #52
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Well, I'm about at my wit's end. I thought I'd finally fixed it, but today it cut out and died on me again. It had been running fine for a week or so. Drove it about 15 miles today and it cut out and died as I was almost home.

I haven't got a clue what could be causing this.
Unread 09-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #53
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Are the FP wires hot again?
LG
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #54
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

Yes, pretty warm.
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #55
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Then I still feel you FP is bad. It's cut'n out. The wires should not be warm other than air temp induced.
You did rewire it with 12 ga stranded wire, correct?
I don't recall now-----Did you try another FP?
LG
Unread 09-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #56
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

I did not use 12 gauge stranded. I used the same size wire that was previously used on the harness, which came from hesco. I believe it's 14 gauge. Maybe even 16. It's awfully small. The reason I didn't go larger is that I wasn't sure how to splice the much thicker 12 gauge wire with the smaller hesco wiring.

I did not try a new fuel pump. When I talked to the tech at air tech, they assured me tat my pump was running within spec and that I must have faulty wiring.

I'll call them back tomorrow and explain that the fp is cutting out.

Also, should I call hesco and ask which wiring I should be using?
Unread 09-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #57
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

If you feel your wiring is undersize just replace it. A few feet of good quality wire in 12 or 10 gauge will do it. Get yourself a soldering iron, some solder and some heat shrink sleeve, cut and twist the wires together, solder them and get the heat shrink over the top.

If you have too small a gauge it may not burn but the volts will drop and low voltage will lead to problems at the pump.

Also make sure you have a return ground to the battery that is at least as large. DC current flows round the circuit so any restriction anywhere will be an issue.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #58
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

I contacted both airtex and Hesco this morning.

Airtex tech told me that I am probably overworking my pump due to having an inline filter before the pump (in addition to what is presumed to be a screen inside the tank). He claims that since the E2000 is made to push rather than pull, that the micron filter is making it work too hard. Also said the pump is most likely shot, and that it should be under warranty, just to take it back to where I got it from.

Benny at Hesco thinks it might be a ventilation issue. He said many times with an old jeep the valves, etc, get clogged and the tank isn't venting properly. That would make the pump have to work too hard and shut down. He reccommended drilling a small hole in the gas cap. Also said that the wiring that is used on the Harness is directly from Chrysler, so it should be just fine.

Does anyone know how to check and see if my ventilation system is functioning properly in the tank? If its a ventilation issue, is his suggestion of drilling a hole in the cap a valid one? How big of a hole?

Should I remove the fuel filter? That seems weird to me.
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #59
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

To check if the tank is venting run the jeep for a few minutes and while it is running take the gas cap off. If you get any kind of whoosh sound it's probably lacking ventilation.

Considering the pump mfr. has told you the 1 micron filter is likely the culprit I'd start there. Remove it from the system and see if the problem persists. If the pump is warrantied, might as well get a new one while you're at it as well.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #60
Gigemags05
1980 CJ7 

ok thanks for the tip, I'll test the ventilation tonight.

I have already contacted the dealer I bought the pump from and they are replacing the pump free of charge.

The reason I am weary of running the pump without the filter is because every build thread that I have seen mentions using an inline fuel filter before the pump. But if the manufacturer is telling me not to, then I will abide by his advice.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.