jeep died no electrical power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > jeep died no electrical power

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippOur 2014 DynoMax mail-in rebate March1- June 30th is here!OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #1
travisrda
1984 CJ7 

jeep died no electrical power

i need some help guys, so today i took my cj to work ran just fine started right up and runs great took it for a drive at lunch time worked just fine after work the wife and i went to dinner after dinner we went to get the kids at the mother in laws house and as i was leaving it just dies, no power to anything except the clock and thats it checked the fuses they were all good. Had to ge home to get the kids to bed so I had to leave the jeep there going to go work on it tomorrow just wanted some ideas about what you guys think it might be, thank for the help.

travisrda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Solenoid, battery, terminals, fuseable link..
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:46 AM   #3
TomI
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Solenoid, battery, terminals, fuseable link..
Fuseable link was the culprit when it happened to me...
'12 CTD 3500 Dodge (Tow rig and daily driver)
'05 Western Star/Cottrell Auto hauler (Big tow rig and means of paying for the Jeep habit)
TomI is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
TIPPEDITOVER

1978 CJ5 

Another vote for fusible link
TIPPEDITOVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:02 AM   #5
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisrda View Post
i.... and as i was leaving it just dies, no power to anything except the clock and thats it. Checked the fuses they were all good. .....
Wait the clock works? Are you sure?
That is important cause if it does then some of the circuits that have power all the time should work.
Did you check or power with a test light or what?

Do the head lights work?

Could be something as simple as a loose ignition switch plug in that case.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sounds strange, that you got power to the clock but nothing else.

I agree with most, sounds like a wiring / fusible link or even IGN LPS fuse issue but that clock is ticking??????? If it wasn't I would have assumed you had blown the fusible link, the ignition deenergised and you slid to a halt.

Here is a fairly easy to follow diagram of the power circuits. If you get a 12V test bulb and some long leads, hook one end to the battery negative and go looking for voltage, first of all at the fuse box.

However you can rule out a lot if a few other circuits still work. For instance does your horn work? Do your headlights work? Do your hazard lights work?
84-86fuseboxsch-copy-2-.jpg  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

I recently had a situation just like this, but my clock stopped ticking. I had no power to the dash, stereo, headlights or courtesy lights. Turns out my battery dropped a cell and wasn't holding a charge.
I changed out my starter, battery cables, solenoid and fusible link. In the end the culprit was the battery. Throw a meter on it and make sure it registers 12v or take it to the local auto parts shop to have them test it.
Kinda of strange that your clock is still ticking. After going through this same issue and getting help from fellow members, the fusible link doesn't seem like the culprit, but for $5 and 5 minutes of your time, wouldn't hurt to swap it out.
Unread 05-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #8
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

Clean the battery terminals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
travisrda
1984 CJ7 

the thing that gets me is that it fired right up and as i was heading out their driveway its like someone shut everything off. I was under the dash trying to figure out if it was a blown fuse or not and the wife is the one said that the clock was working. i will head over there today with a test light to see what i can figure out.
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Ecm?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

I've seen this a hundred times. Let it sit and it will fix itself. It won't fire/dead battery and then 20 minutes it fires right up. It will fire up for a week and be dead again. If this is what is going on, clean the battery terminals first. It's cheap! Te second thing to do is clean the terminals of them ECM with jeweler's file. Corrosion will also produce the same problem. It happened to my wife and she had it towed to the jeep guru who changed the emc and computer for $500 and it happened again a month later.

Both are intermittent. If it isn't the battery terminals then do the Nutter Bypass (I believe that's the one to bypass the EMC and computer). I wish I had gone to an HEI single wire the first time it happened to me. Lesson learned.
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

The older CJ clocks will run for several minuets disconnected. They have a little solenoid inside that cranks a spring tighter, as it winds down, a switch makes contact again and rewinds the clock.

If the clock says "Quartz" it's different.

so,

who's betting a case of beer that it starts when he gets there???

So as to the loose/corroded battery terminals, I been there and started many a car with just a sheet metal screw driven down between the terminal and the clamp.
Now i just clean them up..

Hard to find those old post cleaners anymore....

I think they are in the plumbing department now....
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #13
bkeese
1949 CJ3A 

John the pipe cleaning brush for copper plumbing pipe works for inside and a cheapo ss brush from Habour Feight works for the posts similiar to the red one above. They also make cheap plumbing pipe cleaners with wooden paddle handles.
Unread 05-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
travisrda
1984 CJ7 

wouldn't it keep running though even if it is the battery? it should run off the alternator. also I have done the tfi /duraspark upgrade on it. i will take a battery brush with me though jic (just in case) can't hurt right?
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

John,

I'm betting it fires, too.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.