The Jeep died again... HELP! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > The Jeep died again... HELP!

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-06-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

The Jeep died again... HELP!

the jeep is a '84 cj7

The jeep is bone stock minus the PO "helping" it.
About 3 monts ago the ECM died and was replaced which put her back on the road better than before. This morning however it died again, I am at a loss because the ECM shouldn't have died this soon. As well it is accompanied by new symptoms other than from before. The jeep floods on the first crank without the throttle being touched Also the battery terminal (pos) started arcing like crazy, throwing the gauges into a fit.

I am at a loss and any help is greatly appreciated!

Unread 05-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The ECM could have died in 3 months, repro pattern parts are rubbish.

It is a 1984, so has it been Nuttered or is it still run by the computer? If so, is the IGN LPS fuse working? This little bitty fuse can knock out the ignition as the CEC computer filters and alters the signal from the pickup in the distributor before it gets to the ECM. No fuse, no voltage, no computer = no spark. I attach a fuse box diagram.

The battery terminal arcing is because it is worn out / corroded / loose. You need to take it apart and clean it up and fix it. This will turn the gauges on and off.

The carb flooding could be completely unrelated. If it is a BBD, when was the last time you took the top off and checked the float levels and inlet valve? It is a 10 minute job when you know what you are doing. It will run without the top on, allowing you to check the valve is topping the flow and the float is preventing excessive petrol levels in the carb, the main causes of flooding. If you have an electric pump, it could be doing it without cranking. If it is just a choke issue then you need to set up the choke mechanism, see Jeephammer's old posts.

The thing to check though is the ignition for spark. Take off one of the spark plug leads and put an old spark plug in there and hold it on to the block. Get a buddy to swing the engine, is there a crisp regular spark?? If not follow it back to the coil to check for spark.

If you are getting no spark break out a 12V test bulb and some long leads. Hook one end to the battery negative. In Run does it glow dimly when connected to the coil positive (red with tracer)? In Start does it become Bright?

If you hav evoltag eta the coil disconnect the light green wore from the other side of the coil. Hook the etst bulb between this and the battery positive. Swing the engine, does it blink on and off?
84-86fuseboxsch-copy-2-.jpg  

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Thanks i will try the diagnostic methods you suggested this weekend. The jeep is still run off of the computer which will hopefully be changed soon. Also it does have spark (i think) I stuck a screwdriver in the end of the #1 plug wire to get it to spark over. it did shock the piss out of me lol I forgot and held onto the shank of the screwdriver and i didn't want to check it again.
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
RamblingCJ
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis77Cj
Thanks i will try the diagnostic methods you suggested this weekend. The jeep is still run off of the computer which will hopefully be changed soon. Also it does have spark (i think) I stuck a screwdriver in the end of the #1 plug wire to get it to spark over. it did shock the piss out of me lol I forgot and held onto the shank of the screwdriver and i didn't want to check it again.
I'm sure that didn't feel good. Use a spare plug next time and ground it somewhere on the engine. You should see a spark not feel it .

You can get another aftermarket ECM or you could just nutter it. I recommend the later and you can leave everything hooked up for inspections.
RamblingCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Well i am happy to say that I went and got a new ignition box and some carb cleaner to start trying to figure out what was wrong with the jeep. So i laid the parts on the bumper and decided to attempt to start it one last time before i dove into it. What do you know it came to life and purred like a kitten . Why? I have absolutly no clue other than it must have heard me talking to my dad about a new truck and she was having a fit . So I have decided to leave well enough alone until I gather all of the parts that need replacing and do it all in one shot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.