Jeep Dash pad restoration? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep Dash pad restoration?

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #1
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

Jeep Dash pad restoration?

Has anyone had their dash pad restored? I have one that I too out of my CJ5 that I want to put in my CJ7 (kinda like a remembrance type of thing).
If you had it restored who did it?
I'm looking to change the color and I want the highlighted Jeep logo back, oh and of course I want to fix a hole or two.
I know about the jb weld fix but I want a cleaner look than that.

Unread 09-30-2014, 06:36 AM   #2
Mr. Boh
1986 CJ7 

Curious as to what color you have and what color you want. Anything but black is relatively rare.
Mr. Boh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 05:56 PM   #3
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

I have nutmeg but I'm going to black to match the new Jeep colors
Unread 09-30-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Do it yourself, it doesn't even take a full day!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/qu...ation-1723506/
CrankyD is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Thinking about removing my black dash pad when I put my full cage in....

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbuddy View Post
I have nutmeg but I'm going to black to match the new Jeep colors
Just my two cents ... if you have a nutmeg color, don't ruin it by recoloring it. Sell it to someone looking for a nutmeg color & that will offset the cost of a new black one. All they sell now are black ones anyway.

I have a nutmeg color as well & I'll be doing the JB weld trick. There's a paint place here in town that will color match it for me & stick it in a spray can too.

-Scott

'81 CJ7 Rebuild ... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/my...oject-1543726/
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-30-2014, 08:40 PM   #7
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82JeepCJ7 View Post
Thinking about removing my black dash pad when I put my full cage in....
If only you were closer.

I'm going to do a full cage myself but I'm wanting to cut off the wings where the "A" pillars go so I have room for the bars and I can tuck it up nicely to the dash.
This is why I'm wonder if someone can "restore" the dash so I have a nice clean look on the ends.
If worst comes to worse, I'll end up cutting the ends off and folding the vinyl over and tack it behind the dash. Paint it and install. It'll look like I did it and not a stock item.
Unread 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #8
Mr. Boh
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm going to do a full cage myself but I'm wanting to cut off the wings where the "A" pillars go so I have room for the bars and I can tuck it up nicely to the dash.
This is why I'm wonder if someone can "restore" the dash so I have a nice clean look on the ends.
If worst comes to worse, I'll end up cutting the ends off and folding the vinyl over and tack it behind the dash. Paint it and install. It'll look like I did it and not a stock item.
This is yet another reason to sell the one you have and use the money to buy a new/used one or trade with someone with a black late model dash pad for vent windows. The new repo ones are already indented for later model CJs that came with steel doors with vent windows.
Unread 10-01-2014, 10:42 AM   #9
Tollster
1980 CJ5 

What kind of screws are on the factory dash pad? Are they machine self tapping? Any ideas or pictures would help me get mine installed, that never had a pad..
Thanks
Tollster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #10
Mr. Boh
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tollster View Post
What kind of screws are on the factory dash pad? Are they machine self tapping? Any ideas or pictures would help me get mine installed, that never had a pad..
Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12029-32-BRA...b48ece&vxp=mtr
Unread 10-01-2014, 06:09 PM   #11
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Boh View Post
Yep, those are the screws that are in mine.
Unread 10-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #12
CJ5_Fan
1980 CJ5 

Quote:
If only you were closer.

you can buy a dashpad that has circular cutouts in the ends already. That will allow for the dash to clear the cage and still have sealed ends.

Click HERE to check out my CJ5 restoration project page
CJ5_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #13
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Im going to x2 on the post about not painting your nutmeg dash. If anything get a new one and paint it whatever color you need and pass that nutmeg dash on to someone who is trying to get their original interior together.
Unread 10-03-2014, 06:12 PM   #14
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

I won't paint my dash, I promise.
I didn't know that they were rare. I'll take some pics and post it in the classed and locally.
What are they worth?
Unread 10-03-2014, 06:16 PM   #15
swampbuddy
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ5_Fan View Post
you can buy a dashpad that has circular cutouts in the ends already. That will allow for the dash to clear the cage and still have sealed ends.
Who makes this dash?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.