Jeep CJ7 light bar - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep CJ7 light bar

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
Tfiedler
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwhore
My 2 cents, windshield mounted light bars are a pain. Depending on how they mount they can cause rust issues down the line and/or rattle loose. And the glare off the hood makes the gained light output much less effective.
What would you recommend then?

Tfiedler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
Well, this may be the case in haphazard installations, but as in all things, things must be done just right. There is no sign of corrosion in my windshield frame despite having once sported a light bar, but then after I received those KC's I used flush mount plugs with a little silicone to seal the holes.
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #18
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon In Tucson View Post
Wayne,
Looks good. Is the bar positioned so it's weight is on the cowl or the hood? God bless.
Jon In Tucson
Hey Jon - Sorry I'm late in responding. For whatever reason I never received a notification.

It's mounted to the front screw on the hood hinges - so technically the weight is on the hood. However, since it's mounted within maybe 4" of the cowl the weight is evenly distributed and I get zero "bounce" if that's where you're coming from. It's very stable there since it's right on top of the only "hood brace" on the hood. The channel that I used is 3/16" 6061 aluminum so there is some heft to it. I went that route for stability and so I had enough thickness to tap the holes for the mounting hardware on each light.

FYI - I ran a piece of "steel shelving standard" (the metal strip mounted on both sides of a cabinet that the adjustable shelving clips go into?) on the inside rear of the aluminum channel. I then tapped holes for the light brackets and mounted them with machine screws. This way, the "strip" became my common ground for all six lights, and I only had to run a single wire to each to complete the circuit. At 330 watts, it's all run off of a relay with in line circuit breakers.

With our "tinny" hoods you wouldn't want a bar out any further or it would be "bouncing" all over the place even on a paved road. If that's not the reason you were asking, PM me and we can discuss. Take care, and may God Bless!

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #19
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19in1979 View Post
This way, the "strip" became my common ground for all six lights, and I only had to run a single wire to each to complete the circuit. At 330 watts, it's all run off of a relay with in line circuit breakers.
Not to freight train your conversation 19in1979, but in keeping with JeepHammer's dedicated grounds idiom, there's better ways to enhance the conductivity of circuits to maintain their integrity.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ba...arted-1340134/

All the best my comrad!
Unread 04-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #20
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19in1979 View Post
With our "tinny" hoods you wouldn't want a bar out any further or it would be "bouncing" all over the place even on a paved road. If that's not the reason you were asking, PM me and we can discuss. Take care, and may God Bless!
Wayne,
Mostly interested in the "bouncing" factor while underway. Even our "paved" roads in my neck of the woods are pretty darn rough. When you open the hood is there enough clearance to avoid rubbing on the windshield or its frame? I like the concept that you used and am contemplating a change from the the 80's pair of KC's that are currently on my CJ. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #21
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

So, no interest in the NOS light bar I have?
Unread 04-22-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
Tfiedler
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogus
So, no interest in the NOS light bar I have?
Yes I would like to take that from you. Do you know what shipping would cost? I live in Alberta
Unread 04-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #23
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Oh nutz, I didn't know you were in the 'Great White North' as Doug and Bob used to say. As I work for Skinnymutt Transportation, I could've shipped it for cheap, if you were in the States. As it is, I'm sure shipping would exceed the value of the light bar, sorry to say.
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #24
Tfiedler
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Oh nutz, I didn't know you were in the 'Great White North' as Doug and Bob used to say. As I work for Skinnymutt Transportation, I could've shipped it for cheap, if you were in the States. As it is, I'm sure shipping would exceed the value of the light bar, sorry to say.
That's too bad.. Well thank you for your time, I think I will buy one new so I can mount a roof rack on it
Unread 04-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

I'm putting my lightbar back on. Trying to keep it period correct for '79. Gotta steal my Turbine rims back. And build ANOTHER shed. 9'door and 12x 16 outta do it! CJ ONLY. Nothing else goes in, the barn is for stuff that will hit/damage the CJ!
Unread 04-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #26
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfiedler View Post
That's too bad.. Well thank you for your time, I think I will buy one new so I can mount a roof rack on it
Sorry it didn't work out, have a cold Canadian for me.
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #27
Tfiedler
1976 CJ7 

Quote:

Sorry it didn't work out, have a cold Canadian for me.
For sure!
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #28
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Way back when, Oregon couldn't get any good imports and gas was less than $1.00 per gallon, I'd load up and head up to my cousin's in BC to practice my Canajan, go to de pub and have some coll wuns. Then load up a few cases of Canada's best and head home, since Oregon wasn't a border state the 1 litre per 24hrs. didn't apply.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.