Jeep CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep CJ7

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-26-2003, 11:37 AM   #1
Tlhjay

Jeep CJ7

I have a 85 jeep CJ7 and I cant change out of 4WD. Is there a trick to it, or should I take it to the shop?

Tlhjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 11:49 AM   #2
PAJeeper

With these old Jeeps you cant just flip it in and out like the new explorers with the yuppie 4x4. You kinda have to ease it out mess around with it. Put it in 1st and let the clutch out just a little while you pull the 4x4 lever. Try all combinations.
PAJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 12:05 PM   #3
twmattox

Shfiting to / from 4-lo:
Vehicle in 1st gear and stopped. Release clutch and start rolling. Put constant pressure on the t-case lever and it will ease back to neutral then 2-hi (or the reverse for shifting into 4-lo).

Shifting from 4-hi to 2-hi:
Vehicle moving at "highway" speed. Give a little gas, then let off gas quickly (bump the pedal). When it starts to decel, shift the t-case.

Shifting from 2- hi to 4- hi:
Vehicle moving at "highway" speed. Start to accelerate at steady rate. Shift t-case.

This is the only way I can get mine to shift smoothly. Hope this helps...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 06:55 PM   #4
hillbillyrig

I have an 82 cj7, the only way I get mine out of 4 is to put it in reverse and ease out the clutch, and than it pops right out.
hillbillyrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2003, 08:52 PM   #5
knifeboy2

I don't know how you define highway speed, but for me its 50 MPH +. If you are doing that in 4 high then you are either on a really long dirt road or are stupid enough to drive on hard pavement for very long. You are also dumb enough to do that to your transfer case. I highly DON'T RECCOMEND shifting from 2 high into 4 high at anything over than 15 MPH. I also don't reccomend driving at highway speeds in 4 high. Driving in 4 high (assuming hubs are locked) on hard roads will destroy something in your driveline. DON'T DO IT. Driving in 4 high with hubs disengaged will suck gas, and for me I only get 11 MPG in 2WD and I don't want to lose any more.

This is just my 2 cents and take it for what its worth.
Unread 03-27-2003, 03:49 AM   #6
dpip4x4

wow that sucks for you guys. i have "77 and it shifts into and out of 4wd smoother than my wifes "97 Rodeo. or mabey there is something wrong with mine Ooops
Unread 03-27-2003, 06:54 AM   #7
Strelnikov
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I had to jack up the front end of my '77 CJ-7 to shift it out of 4WD unless I was on really slippery snow or ice. Doing this relieved the stress on the drive train and it would pop right out of gear. Yeah, I know it's a pain but if you can't get it out of gear it's a foolproof solution.
Unread 03-27-2003, 07:46 AM   #8
twmattox

I don't know about everyone else, but I do happen to use my 4-hi when driving at highway speeds (up to 65mph) when it is snowing, ice, etc. That's the only time I use 4-hi. When ever I am offroad, it is 4-lo (one of the down sides to a 4-cylinder engine).

What knifeboy2 indicated regarding using 4wd on dry pavement is correct. The axles rotate at slightly different ratios. This places a lot of stress on the driveline and can (in severe cases) bind the t-case, snap drive lines, etc.

All I was indicating was that to get out of 4-hi, I have to get the rig moving (say greater than 30 mph). As indicated, 4-lo is another story (the rig needs to move but not fast at all).

Hope this helps...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2003, 10:43 AM   #9
knifeboy2

Something else that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the tires make a big difference on being able to pull it out of 4WD. If you've got one tire that is taller than the other on the same axle, either due to wear or deflation, it will bind the transfer case. This will make it very tough to get out. If you put it in reverse and drive a little bit putting pressure on the shifter though it should pop out. For more info about this read this thread at off-road.com.
Unread 03-27-2003, 12:53 PM   #10
rustyCJ

unlocking the front hubs and rolling forward or backward a few feet will almost always relieve enough pressure off the tcase to allow you to shift out(or into)4wd.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.