Jeep CJ Weber 38 problem...need help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep CJ Weber 38 problem...need help!

Huge Soft top SaleSYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-Lo

Unread 01-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #1
TPaul83
1983 CJ7 

Jeep CJ Weber 38 problem...need help!

Hey Guys,

Im new signing up to this site but have had tons of luck reading previous posts, etc. Now I have a question because I am out of ideas...

My Jeep/Engine: 83 CJ7; 258; HEI ignition; BRAND NEW weber 38, new plugs, new solenoid, new cap and rotor for HEI, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, new pcv...basically replaced all of that when I bought and installed the new weber. It ran like a champ for a few days - was probably a little rich - and wasn't 100% sure that choke was working properly - but other than that it was great. I had timed it to 8* and it idled hot at 650.

I Let it sit for about 2 days without running it. I didn't need to drive it but went to crank it anyway. It started perfectly, ran for about 2 minutes and then died.

NOW....

Jeep will turn over, runs VERY rough on a few cylinders (sometimes) and then putters out.

Extra info that might help:
I am not out of gas.
If it does start, it runs on what seems like maybe one or two cylinders.
It sometimes backfires before it dies.
Vapor is coming out of top of carb in between tries to start it.
I played around with fuel mixture screw - no help.
It won't even attempt to start up if I don't have my foot all the way on the gas.

I am out of ideas. It went from running perfectly to running like I have all but one of the spark plug wires unplugged. I have checked all the plugs, wires, etc...

Any ideas?... Thanks in advance

TPaul83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
okjeep98
1983 CJ7 

I am not sure if this will help but your symptoms are just like mine were when my choke plate was closed. (had no power to electric choke) I found if I would hold my choke open with a piece of wire the jeep would finally cough and start and run fine. Then I would pull the wire holder after I warmed up. Eventually fixed it
Unread 01-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
TPaul83
1983 CJ7 

tried it...didnt help :/

thanks for the reply okjeep...

so i went out there and tried to start it with the choke plate held open.

it seemed to try and start just a little better but did the exact same thing. rolled over several times and quit...

it did however back fire several times (big flame) out the top of the carb. scared the crap out of the girl helping me.

smoke/vapor is coming out of top of carb. putting a little bit of gas down the carb makes no change.

just a quick note: i a not 100% sure of how the choke plate is supposed to work, but it seems like it isn't working properly (again, from OP i said i didn't think choke was working correctly as it didn't run great until warmed up).

For instance, after holding choke open like you had said and trying it a few times, it is staying 100% open and not going back.

Maybe that is normal? either way, not starting, and not "coughing" and then running correctly...

thank you for the time to post though

any other ideas anyone?
TPaul83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
carb , weber , won't start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.