Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep CJ- Lighting Upgrade Installation

44K views 96 replies 39 participants last post by  turbogus 
#1 ·
Evenin' Guys,

As we all know, the factory lighting on our CJs leaves a lot to be desired, especially the headlights. The main problem is how they are wired. The power runs from the battery thru the dash to the switch, then from the switch all the way out to the lights. The factory used small gauge wires with highly resistive contacts for these lengthy circuits, which causes an excessive voltage drop at the headlights.

The solution is to shorten the power path by using relays, which are simply an electrical switch. When the relays get power from the headlight switch, they complete a circuit from the battery directly to the headlights. Since this new circuit uses heavier wire, fewer contacts, and is a shorter distance from the battery to the headlights, the voltage drop is virtually eliminated.

Here are before and after wirings diagrams from Daniel Stern's excellent writeup on the upgrade.

Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
So, I contacted Daniel Stern and put together the following order:

(2) 082440 - Cibie 7'' H4 headlamp lens-reflector unit - $158.00
(2) 48911 - Narva 100/55w H4 headlamp bulbs - $35.18
(1) HL28200 - Headlamp relay harness built-up for 2x H4 Jeep CJ - $161.49
(2) 2886X - Park or Marker bulb glass wedge upgrade 85-lumen - $9.18
(2) 796 - Reverse (back-up) upgrade bulb - $18.40
(4) 3496 - Bulb upgrade +45% brake/turn signal - $28.80

You can build your own harness for much cheaper, but it was worth it to me to have it professionally made. It consists of 2 Hella relays, 2 Hella fuses, and the necessary wire and connectors.

More after dinner......

Attachments

#4 ·
First, I mounted the relays as close to the battery as I could.

Then, I mounted the fuses on the front clip brace, since I couldn't find a better place for them. I was limited by the length of the pre-made harness, and the configuration of my dual batteries. If you make your own harness, you can control where everything gets installed.

Attachments

#6 ·
Then I installed the new bulbs in the new reflectors, put on the supplied waterproof boots, and reinstalled the headlights.

Attachments

#61 ·
Lastly, I installed the upgraded bulbs for the side markers, rear brakes/turn signals, and reverse lights.

Now, I have to shoot the 'after' pics. Back in a few....
Did they just send you the marker and backup bulbs with no packaging?

I don't want to pay 25% extra for something I can just get at amazon with free shipping.

just need references on what to look for that will be exact fit.

#16 ·
That is a very nice result based on your pre and post pictures! Thanks for writing this up. I have two questions:

1. Is there any point in replacing the OEM light harness at the same time to make sure the wiring is updated from the switch to the relay?
2. What is the advantage of this Daniel Stern prefab relay vs. another popular one that people from this forum have used as there seems to be a wide gap in cost?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/290956459559?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Thanks again for simplying what can otherwise seem like a daunting task to some of us.

#19 ·
I just ordered a similar kit from Daniel for my JK. I too went for the Cibie's with the Narva 100/55W combo... after looking at your before and after shots, all I can say is WOW. Can't wait to install this. Pricey perhaps, but he has to make a living too and his knowledge and expertise has to be worth something too.

#23 ·
Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. I'm glad I may have inspired a few of you.

This was probably one of the simplest and most effective upgrades I've made to my CJ. And it made my heap safer. I guess I never realized just how bad CJ lights are, until now.

Another nice feature is this upgrade doesn't alter the factory wiring. It can easily be disconnected and returned to the original configuration, if needed, tho I can't imagine why someone would do that.

Matt

#24 ·
Nice job once again Matt. If you have the time folks, you can save a few extra $$'s and buy the parts only from Daniel Stern and build the harness yourself. That also gives you the luxury of placing the relays/fuses where they would best suit your needs. Either way, Daniel's parts are top shelf vs. the "cheaper" crap out there...

#26 ·
I did the same thing, from Mr Stern, about five years ago. First upgrade to the Jeep after I bought it. At the time I was pulling down big bucks and decided the extra cost of going through him for the convenience of what amounted to plug 'n' play was worth it. Nowadays I'd scrounge to build it for less. Either way, the results were excellent and it's still one of the best upgrades I've done. Nice write-up!

#27 ·
Nice work, Matt. Thanks for sharing. The improvement is impressive!

Rich

#31 ·
I'm curious about the configuration in your photo. I assume the blue and white 3-slot plug is to connect to the back of the headlight (or to the H4 bulb to be more accurate), but what is the black 3-prong plug used for? Did you run the old wires from the light switch directly to the relays, or did you retain all the stock wiring and connectors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.