jeep cj 4" lift problem.HELP!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > jeep cj 4" lift problem.HELP!!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-13-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
jeeplogan

jeep cj 4" lift problem.HELP!!

ok i have a 1984 jeep cj7. i put a 2.5" rough country leaf spring lift on it, and 32" tires, (this lift came with a wedge to correct the pinion angels as well). later i decided i wanted a little more lift, so i purchased heavy duty lifted shackles for the front and rear that add 1.5" of lift for a total of 4"s of lift. with these shackles a alson bought longer sway bar links, and the part to correct my steering, and i also droped my t case 1.2 inches. i fianlly got ill the parts put on and went to test drive it and their is viberations going down the road, and when i take it off road and am goiing up a hilland hit bumps while giving it gas it makes a wierd grinding popping sound. i have no idea what to do please help. thanks .

jeeplogan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #2
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

You might have too much of an angle at the driveshaft. That what causes vibration.
Unread 03-13-2009, 01:36 PM   #3
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

That's why you don't willy-nilly mess around with your driveshaft angles. Read the tech articles at www.4xshaft.com and get yourself an angle finder with a magnetic base. I'm gonna guess that you can pull out the shims and the t-case drop since the shackles effectively did the same thing the shims were doing (you only moved one end of the spring). BTW: you also messed up your caster angle with those shackles.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
HighFive
1981 CJ5 

If the angle is too great... look into getting a cv driveshaft. Might cost you $200 though.
Unread 03-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

for starters, get rid of the erector set shackles. did you keep the stock parts?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
jeeplogan

yes i kept the stock parts. what is a castor angel?, and what is the cheapest fix for my problem? thanks
Unread 03-13-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Did you buy 1.5" longer shackles (= 3/4" lift) or did you buy some ridiculous 'vampire teeth' 1.5" lift shackles (= 3" longer than stock)? If the latter, get rid of them.

Spend some time digesting this thread...best caster stuff is on the last page, so you can just skip to that one: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/why-your-steering-wanders-seems-loose-445430/
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
jeeplogan

i bought the massive vampire teeth ones. :/ is their any way i can make this work?
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #9
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Do you still run the 32inch Tires? If so just go back to a stock height shackle and try that.

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplogan View Post
i bought the massive vampire teeth ones. :/ is their any way i can make this work?
Caster is one of he 3 adjustments to your axles/wheels. Caster is the angle your front wheel sits in relation to the axle. Think of the front wheels on a grocery cart (called casters), they pitch backwards when it's rolling forwards.

Yes there is a couple ways to make what you have work. But it's going to be expensive and suck up all your free time for the next 6 months trying to chase down gremlins. And you'll still end up with the same tires and those monster shackles that are going to do nothing but look bad and continue to cause problems.

For 32's you shouldn't need the additional lift the shackles are giving and it will look better without them. For a 2.5" lift you don't need a transfer case drop or sway bar links etc. This is your best option.

2nd best option if you really want 4" (ish) of lift it to get a 4" kit and redo the suspension. It should come with the parts to give the correct lift and keep everything in spec so you don't have these problems. Then resell the 2.5 and recoup some money.

You don't gain any additional ground clearance with a little extra lift, you only gain clearance with larger tires. And 32/33's is about as big as you want to go with your factory axles before you start adding more stress and potential damage.

So the quick fix is to pull the shackles and put everything back to the original lift. It should fix your vibration issues and make it a better driver. Otherwise get a good manual and learn how to rebuild transfer cases and differentials, you'll be needing the skills before too long.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #11
jeeplogan

ok thanks. so haveing these massive shackles will trash my t case and differential?
Unread 03-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
jeeplogan

yes i am still running 32's. ok heres what im thinking about but idk if it would work being new to the whole jeep thing and all. . . the rear pinion angel is perfect right now due to the massive shackles and wedge. if i take of the t case trop kit totally and put it back to stock than that would be putting just the top of my rear drive shaft whear it connects to the t case in a bind, but every thing else would be normal. . . so im wondering if maby their is a u joint or something i can buy for the top of my drive shaft that is made for the four inches of lift? thanks for the help lol .
Unread 03-14-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
cmvash
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
yes i am still running 32's. ok heres what im thinking about but idk if it would work being new to the whole jeep thing and all. . . the rear pinion angel is perfect right now due to the massive shackles and wedge. if i take of the t case trop kit totally and put it back to stock than that would be putting just the top of my rear drive shaft whear it connects to the t case in a bind, but every thing else would be normal. . . so im wondering if maby their is a u joint or something i can buy for the top of my drive shaft that is made for the four inches of lift? thanks for the help lol .
You've been given the best/safest advice from experts on this board, so why insist on trying to <removed> rig something up.? I understand that it's a cheap route, but you get what you pay for in the end.

Get rid of those horrible fang shackles, or cut them down. You're better off removing the shackles and doing a 1-2" body lift with your 2.5" lift if you really want more clearance for the 32s.

Last edited by jeepskate; 03-14-2009 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Your 'black' moderator doesn't want to see that stuff...
cmvash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2009, 04:25 PM   #14
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I can assure you that your rear pinion angle is *far* from perfect. Did you read the tech articles I suggested and get your angle finder (your u-joint question pretty much tells me that you didn't)? If you haven't done that, you're pulling 'perfect' out of your cornhole. Can't help you if you're not gonna do your homework.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.