Jeep build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep build

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 09-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #1
ajstewart
1985 CJ7 

Jeep build

So I took off the fenders hood wiring harness A/c & heater unit basically i have to un bolt the master cylinder and the body mounts and I will have the body off...

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p.../jeep010-1.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p.../jeep011-1.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p.../jeep012-1.jpg
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p.../jeep009-1.jpg
Once i get the body off im going to start prepping for por 15...can i por 15 parts of the drive train...im tossing the engine and tranny so my real question is the rear end...also can i paint the leaf springs shackles and shock mounts? any tricks on getting off the skid plates they are far gone and the bolts are un-moveable (Grind them)?

ajstewart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
SuB8HaVeN
1986 CJ7 

Nice work, it looks like you have a solid foundation there. You can POR-15 anything your heart desires. I often apply it all over my hands and legs as well. The only thing I would be worried about is something like the engine or radiator where it may get hot enough to burn off the POR-15. Many people have applied POR-15 to their axles, frames, etc. The entire floor of my CJ is covered with it, my engine bay, gas tank and skid plate, etc. I really wish they would have had silver POR-15 a while back when I was tearing mine apart because I would have painted the entire tub with that stuff and shot some clear over it!

For the transfer case/transmission skid plate, I would get a breaker bar on those and see if you can get them to move. If the heads break off, you'll just have to drill them out and tap them and use bigger bolts. There are nuts in the frame that they thread into and the nuts are welded in place, so if you break one of those loose (unlikely), all I can say is good luck.
Unread 09-18-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
YeloCJ

If the bolt breaks or the head strips out, you can drill a 3/4" hole on the outside of the frame, even with the bolt. Then you can either chisel out the nut and weld in a new one or just install a nut and bolt. After you're done you just have a patch welded over the hole.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.