Jeep (aka gangsta) lean - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep (aka gangsta) lean

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-07-2009, 07:22 PM   #1
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

Jeep (aka gangsta) lean

I saw something two or three weeks ago on this but don't remember if their ever was a definative answer. Having nothing better to do today, I placed a level on my cowl (windshield frame is removed right now), then I placed it on the tail because it just looked like the Jeep wasn't level. Sure enough, the Jeep is 1" lower on the left (driver's side) than the right. It's in my garage (I built it and yes the floor is level) so the lean is somewhere in the Jeep itself. It's pretty easy to see with everything above the dash removed.

I know I need new spring and shackle bushings but they're equally bad on both sides. I seem to remember seeing a post where someone said that this is inherent in older CJ's, is this true? Anybody try to come up with a fix?

Thanks!

Unread 03-07-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
ubergeek

mine does it too, interested to see what everyone has to say about it.
ubergeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

If I remember correctly it is a common problem that had to do with the way they were strapped down for transport from the factory. Some are tweaked while others are not.

The dealers had a TSB to fix it by adding blocks between the rear axle and the spring to adjust the height for one side or the other. You would add a block to the side you want to lower. In the OP case a 1" block to the passengers side.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #4
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

Just the rear? how would that affect the front? Seems that something would have to happen to both ends on that side in order to even it out. Anyway, I'm not even sure my suspension is stock which I'm fixing to ask about in another post.....
Unread 03-07-2009, 07:59 PM   #5
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

They may have put them in the front and back but I only remember seeing them in the rear. When you adjust one corner the opposite one will also change. So if you lower the right rear, the left front will raise slightly.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2009, 08:12 PM   #6
Bojeepus
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i have this problem in my yj but its related to im a fat ars and for the vast majority of the last 80,000 miles ive been the only one in it
Bojeepus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-08-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Mine also has the lean. I also saw the post about the back corner being lowered. The block needed is a lot less than 1" though to bring the front corner up an inch.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

So I replaced the front spring eye bushings and also loosened the U-bolts and used a large bar clamp to pull the springs back to center then re-torqued the U-bolt nuts and what do you know, the Jeep sits level now. No blocks needed. Might work for some of you that are having the same problem also, might not. I was surprised at how much difference new bushings alone can make.
Unread 03-22-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

Good to read your post. Its Great to read a happy report. You got it sittin bout right to please you. Seems like A lota CJ's got that old driver side front sag. Sad to say and to see.

That Front Toe Support carries the major portion of the reaction caused by twisting/vibration since the next forward grill mount is centered, as well as some portion of the users. An to that point IIRC most every one had a LH driver load but lots fewer had a rider along the roads. Windshield and some tops and some doors. and sadly enough the drivers bouncing about along the ways as we do. Hate to see it, the slit up the fender, that sag at the side but most of all at the kok eyed hood/grill scene.

Of course the first outboard supports share some as well. I find most all can be corrected at that #2 and possibly the #3 point. Not speaking to rust issues and the gaps there of, at all. The Twisting of the frame can compound the action at that #2 mount since the centered #1 is so far away. And to some less extent to that next outboard #3 mount.

The some times bent/split mounting point of the Toe Support could use a spacer/weld or such. Often bent upward well outside the bolt/captured nut location and can often be tweaked.

Ever been riding down a cool quite trail and heard/felt a unexpected snap? Look here.

Those frames set into a twist cause additional thoughts to be used. ...All sad but true.

At least this started out as a Congrats to you for that progress and you'll appreciate the effort for long to come.
Now the very thought of a change out with needed repair has depressed me so...Maybe see you passin by one day I'll look out for the newest other straight one.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
Slawth
Utility Master Rebater

1978 CJ5 

I am on my 4th CJ and 2 of the 4 have had the lean. 1 of the 2 that did not have the lean had shims between the spring perch and the axle from the factory. Rigs were not always built by computerized machines- I have always considered the CJ lean one of the character flaws that I can live with...

The End
Slawth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #11
rkbell
1977 CJ5 

Slawth, I hear you. I had nothing better to do as I wait on parts so I figured I 'd dig in to it. The lean was MUCH more noticable with no top, windshield frame, etc on the Jeep.

Hey, Granite State is NH right? I grew up in that area (actually ME) retired here in GA after retiring from the military but alot of my kin live in NH (Weare, Hudson, Nashua, Manchester, etc). Looking forward to the next time I can get up that way and visit them. Doubt I'll be driving this ol' Jeep there though
Unread 03-22-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
computertech
1974 CJ5 

The lean on my CJ5 is so bad, that I went mudding and plugged up the entire rear wheel well. The tire actually started smoking from the friction of the caked up mud. I pulled the wheel off and filled up an entire cardboard box with mud (a really big box too). On the side that's not leaning, the mud just falls right off. That's that stupid south Texas gumbo for ya. Sticks to EVERYTHING!
computertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
Lifesgoodhere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Its a Jeep thing, nobody understands...lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.