Jeep addiction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep addiction

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
cj7moneypit
1984 CJ7 

Jeep addiction

Hello,

My name is Dave and I’m addicted to my jeep.

As a CJOffroad transplant I must get this off my chest. It all started in 2004 when my son totaled my 96 Bronco. I purchased a 84 CJ7 thinking that it would be cheap and easy to fix. The PO put the fiberglass tub on and a Jasper rebuilt in it just prior to the listing. Thinking he did the expensive part already, this would be something to work with. I drove it home only doing MPH on the e-way with one hand on the choke and the other trying to keep it on the road. When I pulled it into the garage my son told me he would never drive it. Needless to say, I was a bit upset. I opened the hood and pulled the Carter carb and computer off and chucked them in the garbage can saying “Your darn right you are never going to drive it”. Not my exact words. Since then I removed the tub, replaced all the lines and fuel sending unit, frame repairs, paint, new hardware, supertop, H4 conversion up front, LEDs in back, mustang seats, stereo, and tires. I made bumpers, speaker pods, and clutch linkage. Thank my lucky stars for forums for the MC2100, the original duraspark upgrade with the TFI coil, and headlight relays. I’m sure more things will come to me later.

If I go into any store all I can think of is “how can this work in my jeep”. My usual inspirations come from the hardware stores and Tractor Supply. I went for a part time job interview at the local O’Reilly's. When the manager asked if I had any experience with cars, I pulled out a stack of receipts about an inch thick from his store. I just wanted the employee discount. I’m sure he felt that I was more valuable as a customer than an employee. When I go there every payday they always laugh and say “What’s broke now”.

My work asked what equipment we needed a few years back. Thinking of my jeep, we bought an iron worker, stud welder, and plasma cutter. It’s amazing how little they get used for actual work.

One shelf in the garage is slated for already removed, the other is waiting for install with a third for fluids. As I look at the waiting shelf I see: brake pads, speedo cable, both differential cover seals, all new gauges, oil pan seal, bearings, and u-joints. Looking at the garage floor I’m guessing that all those seals need to get installed sooner than later.

Do you ever walk into a store and just before you get out of eye shot you turn around and look at it one more time. 9 out of 10 times you will see a couple walking by the jeep. The husband will stop and look while the wife keeps walking I’m sure saying “don’t even think about it”.

Reading all of the posts and wondering how I can afford a BDS lift or solid axles. Wanting so desperately to take it out and use it as it was intended with a little voice saying “If you break it, how will you get to work Monday”.

I just felt that the first step on my road to recovery is to admit my problem. Especially with people that will understand. For all of you looking at buying your first CJ, unless you have lots of time, money, and tools, please consider something else.

All of us that already own them need the parts!

USS Midway, NAS Cubi Pt. PI, NAS Agana Guam, NAS Miramar, NAS Alameda
cj7moneypit is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.