Jeep 4.2 MSD ignition upgrade. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep 4.2 MSD ignition upgrade.

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 04-25-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Jeep 4.2 MSD ignition upgrade.

Hey Guys, I know a lot of you have upgraded your ignition. I plan on making my 1983 Jeep Cj5 a daily driver for a little while and am trying to figure out what I can do to make it more reliable.

4.2 liter, roughly 4000 miles, weber carb.

I already did the team rush, well upgrade the cap and roter, my on board computer was removed years ago all together.

Anyways, I read Jeephammer very good details on the updgrades, but I found myself still confused.

I am confused about CDI ignition, and MSD ignition, are they the same thing, or do they have to be done at the same time...

I know this is stupid but I am unsure.

I am also going to replace my coil, probably just the MSD blaster.

Anyways any help would be great, thanks

kov

kovic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:59 AM   #2
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

MSD is just a particular brand of CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition).

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
steveojeepster
1978 CJ7 

I did the Team Rush upgrades and installed the MSD 6A box and Blaster coil. Very happy with the performance. Tune your carb right and it'll start first turn every time.
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^This^^^

I've found the spark to be so hot I can frequently skip using my manual choke and it will still start up right away.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I used the Streetfire MSD with a savings of about $60 and it does VERY well also. The difference more than pays for your MSD Blaster 2 upgrade.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Hey Thanks for the responses Guys, The 6al with the rev limiter is not to important with the inline 6 right.

Thanks for clearing that up

kov
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM   #7
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Right. Not needed. The 6A is just fine. As mentioned the Street fire(?) will also work fine, just not as hot of a spark. A little less expensive. I went with the 6A anyways. YOUR choice though, wiring is the same.

Also, DON'T waste your time buying those new fangled spark plugs made from unobtanium. Good old Copper plugs really do work best... and they're cheaper.

Phoenix Rising- A Flame Off Restoration? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ph...ation-1807257/
WindKnot is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Ok cool thanks. One other thing, As I had mentioned before my onbard computer, i Think that is what it is, it sat above the air condition vent fried a few years ago and shop removed it. Is this going to interfere with he MSD upgrade, is it needed?

Thanks

kov
Unread 04-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #9
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic View Post
Ok cool thanks. One other thing, As I had mentioned before my onbard computer, i Think that is what it is, it sat above the air condition vent fried a few years ago and shop removed it. Is this going to interfere with he MSD upgrade, is it needed?

Thanks

kov
Nope, shouldn't matter at all.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #10
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Right on, thanks guys, can always count on you all to help me out as you have done many times in the past

Looks like ill be getting the:
MSD 6a p/n 6200
MSD blaster 2 p/n 8202
I need this to right : MSD adapter p/n 8869 http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-Ignition...1ca3fa&vxp=mtr

Does that look about right?

Thanks guys

kov
Unread 04-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #11
steveojeepster
1978 CJ7 

Lastly make sure you have good clean spark plugs. Webers can run rich if not tuned properly. Good luck
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #12
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Yes, i have had plenty of troubles with my weber, but a lot of guys helped me out last year and I think I got it running pretty good. So the parts I listed, Are those the correct ones?

Thanks

kov
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic
Yes, i have had plenty of troubles with my weber, but a lot of guys helped me out last year and I think I got it running pretty good. So the parts I listed, Are those the correct ones?

Thanks

kov
They look right. The adapter is nice if you plan on going back to the factory setup later, but you can solder, heatshrink and tape and it will work fine too. I am never going back factory so I opted for terminal ends to the coil wires and hard wired the distributor.

Unread 04-27-2013, 10:03 AM   #14
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Thanks HALO,

I will probably do the adapter, and it looks like ill need the extension with that. I am not to good working with wires, I am not even sure where everything connects.

I also am going to replace my distributor, mine has a slight wiggle. Should I just get the stock replacement?

kov
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic
Thanks HALO,

I will probably do the adapter, and it looks like ill need the extension with that. I am not to good working with wires, I am not even sure where everything connects.

I also am going to replace my distributor, mine has a slight wiggle. Should I just get the stock replacement?

kov
With the rush upgrade the stock distributor does great. There are plenty who opt for aftermarket distributors instead of CDI. It really is a matter of preference from all I have seen with the 258. The setup you are talking about is with the stock distributor though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.