Jeep 304 Intake Gasket Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Jeep 304 Intake Gasket Problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
davbytrace
1979 CJ7 

Jeep 304 Intake Gasket Problem

Rebuilding an AMC 304. I bought the Felpro complete gasket set, which came with the valley pan gasket. Now I am installing an Edelbrock 2131 intake using the 2131 installation instructions. The instructions call for using the Edelbrock 7213 (or similar) gasket. The Felpro kit does not appear to come with the intake to head gasket that looks like the Edelbrock gasket.

Am I only supposed to use the valley pan gasket or do I need to also use the intake gaskets described in the 2131 install instructions?

davbytrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
BSInc
1985 CJ7 

Did the same swap a few months ago. O ordered the Edelbrock gasket but never ended up using it. I just got a new valley pan gasket used than with aviation sealer and "great stuff" around the water jackets. so far not leaks, vacuum or water.
BSInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
bigredisb
1979 CJ7 

Just use the turkey roaster with your flavor sealer around the water ports. Use RTV between the intake and the block on the front and rear. The rubber gaskets just push out if you use them most of the time.

2013 Rubicon Unlimited build thread:[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/bigredisbs-jkur-build-1456541/#post14700472[/url]
bigredisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Location: Albany~town, Oregon, Oregon my home and for 200 billion slugs
When I did my 360 last winter I used Gaskacinch around all ports and used the end gaskets that came with the kit, using just a little bit of Ultra RTV black. So far no leaks. You may have already uysed this trick but I'll mention it anyway, to get the valley pan to stay in place I cut off the heads of three bolts of the same intake manifold thread to length that'd juuust barely hold the gasket in place. I then cut a slot in the top of the heads so I could extract them later. Or another pair of hands may help too (sometimes I need a third arm comin' out of my forehead, none of my teenage zits grew long enough)
turbogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 04:18 PM   #5
mopar408
1974 CJ5 

^^^^2 on Gus, but I didn't think of cutting off the bolts BUT I did use Allen head set screws that the manifold would slide over and Allen wrench to remove. Gus's idea is cheaper. Save yer bucks for gas for v/8 CJ5.
Unread 06-05-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
sgil77
1978 CJ7 

The valley pan gasket with sealant is all you need. The instructions are confusing with the intake. Do not use the Edelbrock 7213 gasket with the valley pan. The intake will not sit down far enough to put your bolts in.
sgil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2011, 08:10 AM   #7
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

[QUOTE Gus's idea is cheaper. Save yer bucks for gas for v/8 CJ5.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more.
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:47 AM   #8
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgil77 View Post
The valley pan gasket with sealant is all you need. The instructions are confusing with the intake. Do not use the Edelbrock 7213 gasket with the valley pan. The intake will not sit down far enough to put your bolts in.
Yeah, I ran into this same problem when I installed my Edelbrock intake about a month ago. Just use the valley pan gasket. Incidentally, the valley pan gasket I used had indentations in the outer bolt holes that help hold in in place, so using bolts with the heads chopped off isn't really necessary.
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
turbogus
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumbojeepman View Post
the valley pan gasket I used had indentations in the outer bolt holes that help hold in in place, so using bolts with the heads chopped off isn't really necessary.
Hmm, the Fel Pro set I got didn't have that feature, and what with the springy tension this thing was under, indentations (in my case) wouldn't have cut it. Granted studs would be a cleaner setup, I just used what I had on hand. Perhaps the Fel Pro kit I got was old stock?
Unread 06-07-2011, 11:51 AM   #10
chet44
Web Wheeler
1985 CJ7 

I actually called Edelbrock when I did mine and they specifically said to use only the valley pan gasket and RTV.

I also bought a Fel-Pro valley pan and while it didn't have the recessed holes for location, it did have strategically placed tabs that you fold over when the pan is flexed in place. Nothing in the darn instructions about it, had to figure it out.
chet44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #11
kmm

When I recieved motor from builder he does not use the valley pan (aka turkey sheet). I asked and he has re-built many AMC and said it is not needed if you are using the shield on bottom of intake under pcv location. This is the one that is riveted on bottom of manifold.

My motor was also decked on block and heads so unsure how the turkey sheet would fit in this instance?
kmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet44 View Post
I actually called Edelbrock when I did mine and they specifically said to use only the valley pan gasket and RTV.

I also bought a Fel-Pro valley pan and while it didn't have the recessed holes for location, it did have strategically placed tabs that you fold over when the pan is flexed in place. Nothing in the darn instructions about it, had to figure it out.
Did you ask them why the heck their instructions specifically state to use the Edelbrock intake gaskets and the valley pan if they aren't needed? Also ask them if they are going to refund the money I wasted on their intake gaskets.

As to the valley pan gasket, I, too got the Fel-Pro gasket, so I don't understand why you guys aren't feeling the ridge around the outer bolt holes that holds the gasket in place. Maybe you have it upside down so the ridges aren't grabbing the bolt holes?
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 09:30 PM   #13
CombatCarlJeep
1979 CJ7 

I'm doing this now. I called Jegs. I was told NOT to use the valley pan and just use the intake gasket. Now I'm worried I have installed it wrong.
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
LT1CJ7
1983 CJ7 

It'll suck oil through the pcv valve.
Also, do not use the end seals, use a bead of Ultra Black and throw the seals in the trash.
LT1CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2012, 10:31 PM   #15
Hurricane4

At the very least you should use the valley pan.

You can/should also add the shield to the underside of the Edelbrock 2131 - see photos.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_.../3000/3731.pdf
intake-lifter-valley-heat-shield-pcv.jpg   amc-4-barrel-intake-underside.jpg  

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.