I've got a dilema. Too many Jeeps! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I've got a dilema. Too many Jeeps!

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 09-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #1
frankush
2002 WJ 

I've got a dilema. Too many Jeeps!

Alright guys, I need a little help and I know this is the CJ forum. It's where I spend most of my time and I'm fully aware of the great builds here.

Normally, I've got an 83 CJ that is awaiting restoration. Had it for 15 years. Tub is shot. Frame is rusty but useable. I have both a T176 and a T18. Decided that I was going to stick with the T176. Not much offroad around Chicago. 4.2 is tired.

Daily driver is my 02 WJ Overland. It's not going anywhere. Great ride.

Over the holiday, I wound up with 2 more and I haven't worked in over a year. I have found that when you have the time, you don't have the money and vice versa. Well I've got the time now. Should be back to work in the spring.

Picked up a 95 Cherokee for $350. Engine compression at 150PSI on all cylinders. 99k miles. Runs great. AX-15 and 231 transfer case. Vehicle was totaled and the price was right. Purchased for engine swap into the CJ.
I'll part out what little is usable.

Also picked up an 89 YJ, less drivetrain. It's originally from TX and there is VERY little rust. Nothing more than surface and that's on the frame. I've been looking for a good tub for over 2 years. The frame is clean. No rust on the inside of the frame at all, from what I see. Even the rear cross member looks great. It has other misc. parts I could swap, as well.

My dilema is that I'm thinking about parting the CJ because it is definetely more work and I know I'll spend a whole lot more bringing it back to where I want it. I'm not big on the square headlights and the YJ dash would have to go. May even swap the Dana 300 into it. Other than the crappy model 35 rear end, I can't see the downside.

Your thoughts on this would be helpful.

Last edited by frankush; 09-09-2009 at 12:39 AM.. Reason: Added pics
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 03:21 AM   #2
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

Put the CJ front clip and dash on the YJ. Only a little work needed to do that. Bolt the 4.0L and harness from the XJ into the YJ. D300 from the CJ will need a clocking ring to work in the YJ because the CJ front is passenger-drop.

Then, you will have the classic looks of a CJ with the stronger frame and wider springs from the YJ and the power from the venerable 4.0L.

Can be done in a couple of weekends. Part everything else out.

NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
IDK

Yeah put the front clip of the CJ on the YJ, front fenders, hood and grille and you basically got a YJ7, nobody will be able to tell the difference unless you want them to.
IDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
78treehugger
1980 CJ7 

NewdRiver beat me to it. That is exactly what I was going to say. Best of all 3 worlds.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permision.
Salad is what food eats!!!
http://emptypocketsoffroad.org/
78treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 07:42 AM   #5
kconnor123
1978 CJ7 

I hate you. How did you find a OBD I YJ with a good engine, low miles, and with A MANUAL TRANSMISSION!!! for $350 bucks!

I've been looking like crazy for a 91-95 YJ with a manual and I think they literally made 10 of them over that 5 year span.

Great find and good luck. give us pics!
kconnor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #6
kickingprop
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewdRiver View Post
Put the CJ front clip and dash on the YJ. Only a little work needed to do that. Bolt the 4.0L and harness from the XJ into the YJ. D300 from the CJ will need a clocking ring to work in the YJ because the CJ front is passenger-drop.

Then, you will have the classic looks of a CJ with the stronger frame and wider springs from the YJ and the power from the venerable 4.0L.

Can be done in a couple of weekends. Part everything else out.

One addendum to what he said....LOSE the D35! Either get a D44 or C20 from a Waggy or an 8.8. Anything is better than that D35!

Or swap over the CJ axles and keep it passenger side drop...
Phase Three: Waggy 44 front, Scout D44 Rear, 4.56's, ARB's (F/R) SOA with YJ Springs, 35x12.50x15 BFG MT - Not Even Close to beginning

Also a mostly rust-free 1970 Scout 800A That I'll get to start working on someday...

Quote:
Chrome won't get you home...BUT Rattle Can Black may just get you back"
kickingprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

yep, if you have the time, and the skills, this is a bit of a 'no brainer'.

heck, it's all even emissions legal, should you ever need to sell.

here is the only wrinkle I'll throw in... ever thought about just building the Cherokee to wheel? (I know, I know)

lose the doors, throw on a Rusty's 3" kit, and go have some fun

(and I'd STILL save the YJ and build it with a CJ front end, but with the CJ axles)

oh, and just for funs' sake, what'd you give for the YJ???

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #8
frankush
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
yep, if you have the time, and the skills, this is a bit of a 'no brainer'.

heck, it's all even emissions legal, should you ever need to sell.

here is the only wrinkle I'll throw in... ever thought about just building the Cherokee to wheel? (I know, I know)

lose the doors, throw on a Rusty's 3" kit, and go have some fun

(and I'd STILL save the YJ and build it with a CJ front end, but with the CJ axles)

oh, and just for funs' sake, what'd you give for the YJ???

Hoss
No room to store a trailer and the rear end is trashed. Looks like the pinion bearing let go and the pinion nut backed off. I also don't have the energy or the cash for another project. I paid $1600 for the YJ, which included him trailering it 50 miles to drop it off. In this area, that is a very fair price and the guy was very easy to deal with. I'm happy with it. For what I would have paid to blast the CJ tub and the number of my labor hours to weld up all the holes, I think it's justified.

Sorry Connor. It just fell into my lap. When I saw what he wanted for it, I jumped. He didn't return the call or the email. The first time I talked to him he had it on the truck and was ready to drop it off right then. Once I checked it out, I figured I couldn't lose. I knew what I was looking at.
frankush is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.