I've been living right I guess - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I've been living right I guess

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 03-18-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
jtad
1980 CJ7 

I've been living right I guess

Took the Jeep to Big Bend State park over spring break. If any of you have ever been there you will understand how remote this place is. Once you leave pavement it takes 1 1/2 hours just to get down the 25 miles of dirt road to get to the park HQ.... We flat towed the jeep from the camp ground over there. Once there we jeeped back into the park about 2 hours in, and hiked, then 2 hours back to the truck. Hooked back up to the truck and towed back to the camp ground. Unhooked from the truck, started the jeep, it ran for no more than 2 seconds and died. Opened the hood. The entire top of the fuel pump was broke off where the fuel line goes to the carb. Hole big enough to stick your thumb in.. Living right !!!!

jeep.jpg   jeep5.jpg  

Last edited by jtad; 03-18-2013 at 02:10 PM..
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #2
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Great photos and a good story! Glad you made it back OK! The photos are proof that Texas does have some mildly interesting off road territory.
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
pman
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

There's no guessing.. You HAVE been living right!! Close call!
82 CJ8 Scrambler 258-t5-Dana 300
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cj...-lulu-1350563/
pman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #4
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Wow, a State Park that allows ORV?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutlass327
Wow, a State Park that allows ORV?
There's at least 2 in Indiana, one south of Terre Haute (Red bird SRA), the other is in the Bloomington/Nashville area (Interlake SRA)

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
spward

1985 CJ7 

I think Big Bend is a National park and those actually look like improved roads. My father owned a ranch not far NE of the park. It was/is tough country. Had to use elephant snot in the our tires for jeeps and 4-wheelers. The cactus is tough and the heat is just out there. As a side note, the Army did manuvers on our ranch in early 90 (I was actually in bootcamp for the Navy at the time). Not much after they got finished, Kuwait was invaded. Things that make you go Hmmm.

USN Hull #227
spward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
jtad
1980 CJ7 

No that is Big Bend Ranch State Park. And there is nothing improved about those roads... Now the National park is about 70 miles up the road has tons of improved roads. They really only have one nasty fun jeep road, called "Black Gap" road. The State park on the other hand is awesome.. I have a ton more pics, and some video I will post soon. And Ken I know it is hard to tell from the pics, but there is nothing mild about where I was in that pic. That was a little flat spot between two awsome climbs, somewhere in the area of about 850 elve change from top to bottom.. I will post more pics soon.. Side note, put a new fuel pump on yesterday, and put an extra in the tool box... $19.91...That could have been the difference between going all "donner party" on my family to survive in the desert or making it home..lol Hey Spward I see your in the Colony, I work for the fire dept over in Saginaw..
jtad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.