JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Jeep CJ Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/)
-   -   I've been living right I guess (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ive-been-living-right-i-guess-1495366/)

jtad 03-18-2013 01:53 PM

I've been living right I guess

2 Attachment(s)
Took the Jeep to Big Bend State park over spring break. If any of you have ever been there you will understand how remote this place is. Once you leave pavement it takes 1 1/2 hours just to get down the 25 miles of dirt road to get to the park HQ.... We flat towed the jeep from the camp ground over there. Once there we jeeped back into the park about 2 hours in, and hiked, then 2 hours back to the truck. Hooked back up to the truck and towed back to the camp ground. Unhooked from the truck, started the jeep, it ran for no more than 2 seconds and died. Opened the hood. The entire top of the fuel pump was broke off where the fuel line goes to the carb. Hole big enough to stick your thumb in.. Living right !!!!

Ken4444 03-20-2013 07:56 PM

Great photos and a good story! Glad you made it back OK! The photos are proof that Texas does have some mildly interesting off road territory.

pman 03-20-2013 08:19 PM

There's no guessing.. You HAVE been living right!! Close call!

Cutlass327 03-21-2013 01:01 PM

Wow, a State Park that allows ORV?

lucdog 03-21-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cutlass327
Wow, a State Park that allows ORV?

There's at least 2 in Indiana, one south of Terre Haute (Red bird SRA), the other is in the Bloomington/Nashville area (Interlake SRA)

Bill

spward 03-21-2013 01:49 PM

I think Big Bend is a National park and those actually look like improved roads. My father owned a ranch not far NE of the park. It was/is tough country. Had to use elephant snot in the our tires for jeeps and 4-wheelers. The cactus is tough and the heat is just out there. As a side note, the Army did manuvers on our ranch in early 90 (I was actually in bootcamp for the Navy at the time). Not much after they got finished, Kuwait was invaded. Things that make you go Hmmm.

jtad 03-21-2013 06:26 PM

No that is Big Bend Ranch State Park. And there is nothing improved about those roads... Now the National park is about 70 miles up the road has tons of improved roads. They really only have one nasty fun jeep road, called "Black Gap" road. The State park on the other hand is awesome.. I have a ton more pics, and some video I will post soon. And Ken I know it is hard to tell from the pics, but there is nothing mild about where I was in that pic. That was a little flat spot between two awsome climbs, somewhere in the area of about 850 elve change from top to bottom.. I will post more pics soon.. Side note, put a new fuel pump on yesterday, and put an extra in the tool box... $19.91...That could have been the difference between going all "donner party" on my family to survive in the desert or making it home..lol Hey Spward I see your in the Colony, I work for the fire dept over in Saginaw..

The time now is 10:45 PM.