It's me again... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > It's me again...

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 12-22-2013, 04:44 AM   #1
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

It's me again...

Well guys I'm glad to say the jeep is driving again after the transmission issues, and I appreciate all the help. Now we are on to a new problem, actually a continuing problem. When I first bought the jeep it had a reman starter on it. It wouldn't start without issue. Well the "new" starter is having the same issue. It sounds like it is grinding on the flywheel sometimes, but checked it out during starting and it seems to not be engaging fully. I searched the forums and saw there were 9 and 11 tooth starters and different versions that could fit on the jeep. I'm hoping the parts store had been giving me and the P.O. the wrong starter, as the flywheel teeth look fine. Any suggestions or starters I should look at getting. Jeep has a 304 w/th-400 trans.

Thanks

goochieman83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
billybooster2
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

It could be your key switch not leaving the 'start' mode? The internal spring gets weak sometimes....
billybooster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

Ignition switch is fine, it's new. Problem has got to be with starter or flywheel (hopefully starter). It grabs sometimes but when it doesn't it just makes a loud grinding noise. Got a friend to start it and crawled underneath and noticed it was fully engaging the flywheel.
Unread 12-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #4
ScroungerLee
1986 CJ7 

Where did you buy the starter? There have been similar complaints about starters from one of the parts stores, I can't remember the details. Maybe someone will chime in.
ScroungerLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
vinnyabs
1983 CJ7 

I have the same issue as you with my original and replaced AZ rebuild. Haven't been able to invest the time into figuring out why and it only happens occasionally so I'm hoping you can find the answer
Unread 12-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #6
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well I'm pulling the starter in the morning to count teeth and try to find one that engages fully. Will keep you posted on what I find.
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

Do any of you guys know what size the factory starter bolts are, the ones in the jeep now are definitely not factory and are garbage. Possibly why the starter is still grinding? Done with oreilly starters, going to Napa today to see if theirs is any different. Seems like the starter is too far from the flywheel but I can't get it any closer.
Unread 12-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Your engine stops during the compression cycle once the ignition is turned 'Off'.
The compression stops the engine in one of the 3 or 4 compressions cycle spots, so the starter is always turning on the same places on the ring gear.

What has probably happened is you have a worn ring gear, and the 'New' starter is finding the damage the old starter left behind.

Have a close look at your flywheel, see if you have some teeth that are worn/ground down to find out if this is your issue.
Costs nothing but time and will narrow down the potential 'Issues' that could be causing your problems.
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #9
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

Copy that, I've looked it over recently and seems to be fine. You can tell in some spots where it has been grinding, but hardly. My main concern was that when I crawled under and had a friend start it, the starter isn't engaging the flywheel completely. The bendix isn't kicking out far enough to reach the flywheel. That's why I was wondering if maybe the p.o. and I had been continuously given the wrong starter.
Unread 12-26-2013, 11:33 AM   #10
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

The thing that bums me out the most is all the work I have done this far and it is finally ready to drive, but I don't trust it to go anywhere because now I'm afraid I'll get stranded and it won't start.
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well I installed a new starter from napa today and after starting it multiple times, it sounds normal (no grinding) and starts everytime. Hope this fixes it for good this time.
Thanks again for the help!
Unread 12-27-2013, 02:14 PM   #12
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Make sure the alignment pins for the bell-housing to block connection are in place. Without them, the bell can shift slightly, causing the starter to become misaligned with the flywheel, and it will grind.

I learned that lessen the hard way.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #13
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7
Make sure the alignment pins for the bell-housing to block connection are in place. Without them, the bell can shift slightly, causing the starter to become misaligned with the flywheel, and it will grind. I learned that lessen the hard way. Matt
Me too and two cracked flexplates until I started to wonder...........
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

Will do. Are they easily viewable from underneath, honestly not sure what I'm looking for.
Unread 12-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #15
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I've had similar symptoms from Autozone starters (in one case right out of the box). While they willingly replaced them free, I did not want to risk damaging my ring gear. I blew some bucks on a Mean Green and have had no further issues.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.