Its the little things....... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Its the little things.......

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 07-23-2007, 03:43 PM   #1
Robin65

Its the little things.......

We purchased a 1973 cj5 from a friend back in the spring. We have had a ball, and thankfully he had already done quite a bit of work to it. So far all we have had to do is the following:

Valve cover gasket replaced.
Master cylinder replaced.
Tune up with plugs, distibutor cap & button.
New clutch.
New brakes all around.
New Tires

The previous owner had already blasted & repainted the body inside & out, added six inches of lift and installed a nice stereo and speakers. All new seats too.

The motor is the 304 and the headers sound really great.

Now, we were just about to head to the beach with her next week and were wrapping up the finishing stages of the tune up. Hubby decided to check the oil before our trip. Pulled out the dipstick and the tube came along for the ride!

My question is, can this be fixed without pulling the motor? It appears to have snapped off right where it connects to the engine.......If fixing it is a really big deal, can we drive it like it is? Once we fixed the leaking valve cover, we noticed we go thru about a quart of oil every other tank of gas. We know a rebuild is in the not to distant future..... Advice for the weekend and for the long haul fix?

Thanks.!!!!

Robin65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Now if it was mine I'd try to fnd a screw or tap that I could get a grip on the inside of the broken piece and try to pull it out.

A lot of people use large quanitys of JB Weld.

The best would be to drop the pan and tap the sucker back out.

OOPS my bad I see it's a 304 and not a 258. Don't know how easy those things will be.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #3
c17load83
1991 YJ Wrangler 

i put one in my 304. Dropped the pan, pushed the old one out and a new one in. It was time consuming getting the pan out and back on right and trying to find the perfect angle where i could get the new dipstick into place. Took a couple hours but was worth it not having to think about it everytime i drove it.
c17load83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #4
Bard
1985 CJ7 

Beach or fix it right, hmmmm, go for the JBweld for the Beach trip and then fix it right. Just bring some extra oil incase you need to add a quart or two.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Another quick fix involves taking a bolt that will lightly thread into the hole/broken piece of tube, putting a little silicone on it and threading into place until you can fix it..
I drove an old 78 CJ7 around like that for a little while.. about 7 years..

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.