Introduction and some direction... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Introduction and some direction...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 03-11-2013, 03:41 PM   #61
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
The rig is looking pretttttty sharp!!!!!!

I take it the handling and performance issues are now a thing of the past?
Well, kind of. Steering is definitely tightened up. A lot of the wander is gone....I can steer with one hand. However, I still have a bit of the twitchy-ness. I would bet my caster is off, and I have plans to put wedges in...but, I am going to do YJ spring conversion when I get some extra dough.

Performance wise, I think it is about as good as it gets. I may go to CDI later, but right now it is okay.

BTW, thanks for the compliment...it is coming along!

Hardtop, I6, 5 speed, 4" Pro-comp Lift (WILL BE OFF ASAP), 33x12.50 ProComp Extreme MT's on Steel "beadlock" ProComp wheels
Fully rebuilt front end, H1 Steering Gear, Howell Fuel Injection, Team Rush Ignition Upgrade.

Stock gears for now.
billusher76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #62
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
Hey Bill,

Sorry I missed this before and I'm sorry for your trials.

It looks like you are making a lot more progress on yours than I am on mine. We are almost neighbors with me outside Tallahassee. Maybe once I'm up and running we can get together for a ride!

Keep up the good work!
Paul
Thanks man, and I appreciate the thoughts...it's been a mother, but I just try to put one foot in front of the other.

You are only about an hour away from where I do my tinkering..Moultrie, GA.

If you ever need any help, let me know, you can come up or my buddy and I can come down.

What are you planning on doing to it?

Hardtop, I6, 5 speed, 4" Pro-comp Lift (WILL BE OFF ASAP), 33x12.50 ProComp Extreme MT's on Steel "beadlock" ProComp wheels
Fully rebuilt front end, H1 Steering Gear, Howell Fuel Injection, Team Rush Ignition Upgrade.

Stock gears for now.
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #63
mncdriver
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Great to here your project is coming along. I also just installed Howell kit on mine. Drives way better, idles around 600 rpm. I was wondering how long/miles it took to have the computer learn the vehicle. I have probably 40 miles on it now and it still stalls when I come to a stop after crusing down the highway. Fires right up post stall. just courious if you have had this happen to you. Great job so far, love the jeep.
mncdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #64
sgtbookie
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hey Bill, just getting caught up on your thread here. Welcome to the forum from another GA Jeeper. If you haven'd discovered it yet, there is a pretty good group of local GA (and all other parts) Jeep group on Facebook, kinda a virtual swap meet you should check out. Southern CH Jeep Sales https://www.facebook.com/groups/244817808923680/

Its run by some great local folks that part out a lot of old CJs.

- 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara #380 -
sgtbookie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #65
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncdriver View Post
Great to here your project is coming along. I also just installed Howell kit on mine. Drives way better, idles around 600 rpm. I was wondering how long/miles it took to have the computer learn the vehicle. I have probably 40 miles on it now and it still stalls when I come to a stop after crusing down the highway. Fires right up post stall. just courious if you have had this happen to you. Great job so far, love the jeep.
It's coming along...not as fast as I'd like, but it is getting there.

I'm in week two, and it is getting better as I drive. So I would say I have 200 miles on mine. I think the best thing you can do is drive the sh*t out of it. I am not running into a stall issue so far. I've got a idle stumble I can't get rid of, but that's it.

Thanks for the compliments. Let me know how the howell does as you get some miles on it....

Stock gears for now.
Unread 03-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #66
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtbookie View Post
Hey Bill, just getting caught up on your thread here. Welcome to the forum from another GA Jeeper. If you haven'd discovered it yet, there is a pretty good group of local GA (and all other parts) Jeep group on Facebook, kinda a virtual swap meet you should check out. Southern CH Jeep Sales https://www.facebook.com/groups/244817808923680/

Its run by some great local folks that part out a lot of old CJs.
Thanks dude! I joined it...

Stock gears for now.
Unread 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM   #67
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billusher76 View Post
Thanks man, and I appreciate the thoughts...it's been a mother, but I just try to put one foot in front of the other.

You are only about an hour away from where I do my tinkering..Moultrie, GA.

If you ever need any help, let me know, you can come up or my buddy and I can come down.

What are you planning on doing to it?
I am up in Moultrie or through there every so often. I used to run the Tractor Supply in Thomasville before I went back to school full time.

Here is my jeep thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/82...egins-1490435/

It's really a "Heep" right now with hardly anything working and swiss cheese rust I just finished the TeamRush and learned an expensive lesson courtesy of my local auto parts store. I now have a MSD Street Fire CDI too. The carb has the choke and linkage disconnected so I have rigged it to at least be functional. I am not a mechanic at all but it's a learning experience. I am researching the parts and linkage for the Carter BBD I have and going to weigh that cost against the Weber 32/34. Based on what I see so far I don't think I will see any extra advantage out of the Weber 38.

I am taking it for a new exhaust system tomorrow and then at least it will be drive-able (semi trustworthy) I need to finish my workshop and get started on the donor body soon. .... The list goes on and on!!!

Let me know if you need anything.... I am going to have a few odds and ends from the donor parts I have accumulated.

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #68
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billusher76 View Post
And, the steering box is leaking, which I knew...so I ordered a H1 box, and I'm tossing the idea around of going with a PSC pump...or, just getting an OEM replacement pump. I guess I'll replace the hoses too.
I'm real new here with a new to me '83 CJ7. I have leaking from my steering as well and wondered if you could explain how you determine whether the steering box, steering pump, and/or the hoses need to be replaced. The pump and box are both covered in fluid, its more caked on - on the pump and is dripping from the box. I have tried to find threads on how to pinpoint the issue without much success. Did you go with am OEM replacement or upgraded parts? Thanks.
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #69
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HALOjmpr View Post
I am up in Moultrie or through there every so often. I used to run the Tractor Supply in Thomasville before I went back to school full time.

Here is my jeep thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/82...egins-1490435/

It's really a "Heep" right now with hardly anything working and swiss cheese rust I just finished the TeamRush and learned an expensive lesson courtesy of my local auto parts store. I now have a MSD Street Fire CDI too. The carb has the choke and linkage disconnected so I have rigged it to at least be functional. I am not a mechanic at all but it's a learning experience. I am researching the parts and linkage for the Carter BBD I have and going to weigh that cost against the Weber 32/34. Based on what I see so far I don't think I will see any extra advantage out of the Weber 38.

I am taking it for a new exhaust system tomorrow and then at least it will be drive-able (semi trustworthy) I need to finish my workshop and get started on the donor body soon. .... The list goes on and on!!!

Let me know if you need anything.... I am going to have a few odds and ends from the donor parts I have accumulated.
Thanks man! Next time we come down I will give you a ring. I have access to some stuff here too, so let me know! I will follow your thread to see how you do...

Stock gears for now.
Unread 03-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #70
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
I'm real new here with a new to me '83 CJ7. I have leaking from my steering as well and wondered if you could explain how you determine whether the steering box, steering pump, and/or the hoses need to be replaced. The pump and box are both covered in fluid, its more caked on - on the pump and is dripping from the box. I have tried to find threads on how to pinpoint the issue without much success. Did you go with am OEM replacement or upgraded parts? Thanks.
Well, first, welcome to the club...I love my '83.

I'll be honest, my jeep was leaking from everywhere, so my mentality going into it was that I would replace what I could, as I could. I figure it is 30 years old, and for the price of the replacement, I might as well do it.

I decide on the H1 steering box just because it is variable, and I liked the idea of it being helped more once it gets a little ways off-center.

Also, while I was going to be taking the box off, it is probably a good idea to put a heavy duty brace on it. I've read about that cheesy OEM brace ripping off...and in fact, mine had a stress crack in it already.

Let me know if you need anything or have questions....

Another thing is to get ahold of it with some degreaser and a pressure washer...get all that caked up stuff off...might make it easier to see the issue.

Stock gears for now.
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:12 AM   #71
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

Did you end up with an OEM pump or the upgraded version? I crawled under it this evening and it looks like its leaking from the pressure line area on the pump and there is fluid on the whole underside of the box. I did pressure wash it on sunday and havent driven it since then. I think I'll start by swapping the pressure line and go from there I guess.

Your rig is super clean, I think it would be totally sweet to have a beast that nice. I am considering this my practice jeep. I only paid 3k for it so if I screw something up with it it shouldn't be that big of a deal. Maybe I can do a frame up or something in the future after I rid myself of my noobness.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #72
hutch1200
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

If you are worried about frame rust arounf the steering box, you could always go w/this style.http://www.quadratec.com/products/12590_0520_07.htm
Simple to install, and you don't have to worry about busting bolt heads! 1 hour install tops. Research the installation of both before you decside I've been happiest w/the looks and performance of 33x12.50s since forever. 31 vs 33= 1 inches of lift. (1/2 above. 1/2 below the center of the wheel). Not a lot of difference and w/33s you won't have to blow coin when you're ready for wheeling.
Btw, are you gonna get rid of that hideous green paint? Or keep it...like I have sice '79! 2 paint jobs and a gelcoated tub even. Seriously, nice CJ. You'll never lose anything that nice in a parking lot. I personally dislike my color, but everybody else loves it. Even my paint guy won't change the color. I guess we gotta join the "Green Jeep Club"!
Gotta thank you for your inspiration. And don't think for a moment that you aren't. I'd be fetal 24/7 w/that load! You're a fine man who deserves a little garage time, and you have a supporting family that helps out and spends time w/you while wrenching. I could be wrong, but you've got it as good as you can in your situation.
Welcome, Good Luck and God Bless!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.