Introduction and some direction... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Introduction and some direction...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #46
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

These Jeep projects seem to multiply like rabbits, don't they?

walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #47
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Well... I have a ton of stuff coming for the front end..... And my little girl asked me if this could be a daughter/daddy project. She is excited!

But, new issue...

I have oil, or oil like substance, coming from the cross member. Pretty decent amount, LOOKS like oil. Thinner than gear oil.

Could be dripping down from the valve cover, which I know I have, but I don't see it being that much. Is there a common leak on these? I don't think it is the transfer case.

Hardtop, I6, 5 speed, 4" Pro-comp Lift (WILL BE OFF ASAP), 33x12.50 ProComp Extreme MT's on Steel "beadlock" ProComp wheels
Fully rebuilt front end, H1 Steering Gear, Howell Fuel Injection, Team Rush Ignition Upgrade.

Stock gears for now.
billusher76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:58 AM   #48
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Hmm - any way you can get a picture of where you mean? You could have a leaky front output shaft of your T-case. Could be your transmission leaking from a crack or something, or it could be blowback from your valve cover/RMS/oil pan gasket leak. Imagine driving down the road and that leak gets all blown back to your belly pan. Does it smell like gear oil?
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 09:16 AM   #49
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

I will do my best. Interestingly, I drove it to work today, and it isn't dripping like it was at the house. The difference is, at my house it sat for days without moving, and obviously, driving to work it warmed up and/or slung all of it off.

To be honest, it is so dirty from the leak (where ever it is) that it is hard to see where it is coming from.
Unread 01-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #50
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Time for a trip to the DIY car wash and blast that junk off.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2013, 03:52 PM   #51
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Yep, I agree.

I plan on doing all the front end work this weekend....oh and trying to figure out where a piece of metal goes. It fell down on my shin while driving home last night from under the dash.

I would attach pics, but they arn't uploading for some reason.
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #52
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Just a quick update....

Spent the weekend replacing the RMS, oil pan gasket, Valve cover Gasket, Motor mounts, Coolant temp sender, oil psi sender, belts, radiator hoses and thermo, heater core and upgraded blower, heavy duty tie rod and drag bar, H1 steering gear, P/S pump and new hoses, steering brace and HD Mount, brakes, and fuel sending unit.

I'm tired and still have more left to do...
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #53
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

This is the mystery bracket....Any help would be appreciated.

I'll update the results of all my work soon so that anyone doing the same work can refer to this thread just for another's experience and point of view.
2013-01-24_22_38_35.jpg  
Unread 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #54
LargeAl
Dirt Gobbler

1979 CJ7 

Bill,

AFAIK...I don't have one on my '79. But I haven't tore my dash apart yet so maybe there's one hiding up there somewhere?

Anyhow, you sure got a lot done on your daughter's Jeep this weekend. Was she in the garage playing straw boss?

Al
LargeAl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-11-2013, 12:29 AM   #55
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeAl View Post
Bill,

AFAIK...I don't have one on my '79. But I haven't tore my dash apart yet so maybe there's one hiding up there somewhere?

Anyhow, you sure got a lot done on your daughter's Jeep this weekend. Was she in the garage playing straw boss?

Al
HAHA, she was a good tool girl. She asked questions...mainly "daddy, is that supposed to go there??" when I had to give the tie rod ends a few love taps to get them to drop out. And, she made me scrub the undercarriage real good. I couldn't ask for more...she always helped me on the race car when I changed tire sets, so it was good for the 2 of use to get back in there together.

I don't have another jeep to reference right now, but I sure would like to know where that mystery piece came from....
Unread 03-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #56
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Just an update...TeamRush upgrade done, and boy was it an improvement!!

Wednesday I will be putting Howell fuel injection on, and figuring out what parts of the nutter bypass can be done.

next up....gears and amc20 strengthening, and yj spring conversion.

Hardtop, I6, 5 speed, 4" Pro-comp Lift (WILL BE OFF ASAP), 33x12.50 ProComp Extreme MT's on Steel "beadlock" ProComp wheels
Fully rebuilt front end, H1 Steering Gear, Howell Fuel Injection, Team Rush Ignition Upgrade.

Stock gears for now.
Unread 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #57
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

Glad to see your project coming along
Unread 03-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #58
billusher76
1983 CJ7 

Okay, Just a quick update with some pics....if they cooperate.

Did the Howell Fuel Injection, took my time and enjoyed some decent temps, took a few days off to do it. Had a buddy help me and one of our mechanic friends stop by from time to time to check on us....I'll probably post up a link to my experience with howell, but suffice it to say, it is much better than the worn out carb. Seat of the pants feel is a much peppier engine. I am having the slightest bit of knock on 5th load situations when I give it too much pedal...I have the timing at 9 or 10 degrees.

One other thing to note....I ripped out a CRAPLOAD of wiring...turn the key for the very first time and it started right up, and quickly settled into a steady idle. Awesome.

Here's some pics......(my best friends father in law is a huge jeep fanatic....as you'll be able to tell)....

Let me know what you think!

Pics aren't working right at the moment. Feel free to go look in my gallery....

Stock gears for now.
Unread 03-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #59
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The rig is looking pretttttty sharp!!!!!!

I take it the handling and performance issues are now a thing of the past?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 08:02 AM   #60
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billusher76 View Post
Just a quick update....

Spent the weekend replacing the RMS, oil pan gasket, Valve cover Gasket, Motor mounts, Coolant temp sender, oil psi sender, belts, radiator hoses and thermo, heater core and upgraded blower, heavy duty tie rod and drag bar, H1 steering gear, P/S pump and new hoses, steering brace and HD Mount, brakes, and fuel sending unit.

I'm tired and still have more left to do...
Hey Bill,

Sorry I missed this before and I'm sorry for your trials.

It looks like you are making a lot more progress on yours than I am on mine. We are almost neighbors with me outside Tallahassee. Maybe once I'm up and running we can get together for a ride!

Keep up the good work!
Paul

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.