Introduction - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Introduction

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-13-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
jmtw
1984 CJ7 

Introduction

Hiya
Just joined the forum, thought I'd introduce my CJ
I have a 1984 CJ7 Laredo and a 1986 CJ7 Laredo tub and new frame.
The '84 has some body rust, so I'm going to be sticking the '86 tub (rust-free) on that chassis/running gear.
Which means, I may be posting a lot, asking questions
I intend to sell the new frame and '84 tub when I get done.
I don't know what the frame is worth, but surely a titled tub is worth something and the rust isn't severe. Mainly hood, below tailgate, and the two mid body mounts.
Feel free to express your opinions.

jmtw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 06:35 PM   #2
firegod33
1977 CJ5 

Welcome to the forum! To begin your education...... We like pics!
Unread 03-13-2015, 07:46 PM   #3
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Welcome to the forum Brandon

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #4
CJ65
1986 CJ7 

Enjoy the journey. Fun is the best thing to have.
CJ65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 05:58 AM   #5
keith460
Jeep. There's Only One

1984 CJ7 

I'm partial to the 84' model year so post some picks when you can. And welcome to the forum.

Restoration Thread:http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=434226
keith460 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #6
CrankyD
1983 CJ7 

Be sure to check with your state DMV before you sell anything. Some states the title goes with the frame and some it goes with the tub. Good luck! The two tubs should be the same (83-86 I think).
CrankyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 08:19 AM   #7
Treyd
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the Forum. Some great people here and willing to offer help and advice.
Treyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 12:08 PM   #8
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Welcome aboard. What's your general experience with turning wrenches?
Unread 03-14-2015, 02:48 PM   #9
jmtw
1984 CJ7 

Thanks for the welcome.
I've built motors, replaced them, etc. Mainly nowadays, I make my son do stuff and sit back and watch
I'm not good with pics. My computer literacy leaves a lot to be desired. maybe my son can.

Now, to my first issue with the '84:
The rearend (amc 20) was completely rebuilt about 3 years ago. New bearings, seals, pinion gear, etc etc. Jeep was driven less than a 1000 miles than owner died and it sat for 3 years till I came along.
Water pump bearing was bad, making a roaring noise. Changed that and thermostat, and now, since I can hear better, the rearend is making a low growling/roaring noise when coming to a stop. I researched it and think the pinion preload might have backed off or maybe they didn't get it right the first time. I didn't even know what a preload was. Apparently, they're more complicated than I thought. I remember putting new bearings in a dana 44 front axle once in my driveway on concrete blocks and it worked great. But then that was a front axle and only used offroad in 4wd.
My intention is, once I get the mechanicals back right, and the '86 body painted, start swapping everything. That way, if something don't work right after I finish, I'll know it was something I (or rather, my son lol ) did.
I wonder if it will do any damage to that rearend driving it to the shop, about 25 miles) or should I haul it?
Does anyone know what the frame I have is worth? As new (if not actually new), extended 8" in the front with twin eye-hooks welded on and square tube for bumper. Square tube with 2" receiver welded on back. Coated.
Unread 03-14-2015, 02:59 PM   #10
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Welcome!

At least in my area a nice, clean frame could fetch $300 or so. I just picked up a decent 79 '7 frame for $200. The tub, as long as it's not horrible will sell, especially with a title. I may be mistaken, but the frames do not have a VIN stamped on them. Only a serial number .... Which does match the serial on the VIN.

... Heck, if the body is better than the one I have for my 85, I'm game. Hahaha!
Jeepn-n-tx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2015, 05:33 PM   #11
jmtw
1984 CJ7 

I'm working on pics.
If the frame is only worth that much, I think I'll keep it and sell the '84's frame. it's in good shape, just not 'like new'.
Maybe I can sell the frame and '84 body as one. Hopefully, that will pay for the paint on the '86.

On a side note, I like the thingy about 4dr Jeeps. I thought i'd seen it all when they first came out, then I saw a 4dr Porsche.
Unread 03-14-2015, 05:37 PM   #12
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtw
I'm working on pics. If the frame is only worth that much, I think I'll keep it and sell the '84's frame. it's in good shape, just not 'like new'. Maybe I can sell the frame and '84 body as one. Hopefully, that will pay for the paint on the '86. On a side note, I like the thingy about 4dr Jeeps. I thought i'd seen it all when they first came out, then I saw a 4dr Porsche.
Hahaha!!!

Prices are depend on the area. I've seen prices all over the place even just in Texas.
Unread 03-14-2015, 08:16 PM   #13
jmtw
1984 CJ7 

maybe this will work....
cj-side.jpg   front-cj.jpg   cjs-back.jpg   cjs-rusty-body-mount.jpg  
Unread 03-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #14
Jeepn-n-tx
I went by Mike Honcho...

1981 CJ7 

Not bad .... But I fear diamond plate. And the evil it hides. Hahaha!
Unread 03-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #15
mudsomemore74
1974 CJ5 

Introduction

Welcome JMTW,

I am new here as well so instead of posting a new thread I thought I would just jump on this one since it was aptly named to introduce myself as well.

Here is some of my Jeep info:

I have been tinkering on automobiles for years now but this is my first Jeep (74 CJ5). So far I have rebuilt the T14A transmission, rebuilt the Dana 20 transfer case (modified to do the dual shifter on this removed the detents), replaced clutch, welded in some floorboards, put paint in bedliner in entire interior of Jeep. Currently rewiring entire Jeep with Speedway motors universal harness and new gauges and modern radio. Just put in seatbelts (gotta have those for the grandchildren). Replacing the exhaust manifold with a newer model (having some fun with this right now getting it to bolt up and plugging the emission holes). First time to do a wiring harness so may have some questions on that. I pretty much had to gut all the wiring as it had been "hack n slashed" to death and was missing all kinds of connections. Everything in the dash itself was just loose wires hanging and no gauges at all in there. They had replaced the original gastank that was just the little under the drivers seat 5 gallon tank with a full tank under the rear of the jeep and had relocated the taillights on the passenger side to use that hole as a filler cap for the gas tank. That being said I will have cut new holes for the new combo taillights I put in. I have it mostly wired but still need to get the new exhaust manifold straightened out before I can try firing it up. I still have to do an entire exhaust system as when I bought the Jeep it just had the tailpipe cut off just under the drivers seat area. This apparently has been a mud machine only for quite awhile so I am trying to get it road worthy again. Everything was running and working mechanically after I rebuilt the tranny and transfer case and replaced the clutch, however I am a little nervous after the wiring job so hopefully I won't melt anything when I fire it up for the first time after this endeavor. The little 232/3.8L engine is in good shape except for normal gunk I saw when I took off the valve cover and saw a bit of carbon on the valves when I took the manifolds off. She runs pretty strong though. I saw an intake (think it was Edelbrock) for a 4 barrel carb, I believe at Summit Racing (don't remember where for sure) but never have seen one for a 2 barrel carb as I thought of upgrading from my single barrel one. Ok, starting to ramble, but that's my little Jeep for now.....

Oh, one more thing JMTW, I had looked at some all steel tubs myself awhile back as I had considered doing the whole tub replacment as well. One thing of note where I had looked is that periodically they run "free shipping" specials and since that alone can run in the neighborhood of about $500 it is worth watching for those specials since if they offer no other discount this is a pretty good one.

I can't remember whose tagline it was that I saw but I saw someone in this forum quote something from "Red Foreman" from that 70s show, that guy is my hero
mudsomemore74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.