Internal conversion kit lockout hubs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Internal conversion kit lockout hubs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #16
shooters_7
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
No, that's not correct.

That internal hub kit is listed for the Scout D44 and Scout D44 outers have the same diameter and spline count as CJ Dana 30 outers. They aren't the same outer axleshafts that the Chevy/Jeep/Ford/Dodge/etc D44s have.
The kit I received had the warn internal hubs and were 30 spline which required D44 outers. In order to run the D44 I had to replace the spindle which are a pain to find. Please expand on whats not correct?

shooters_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
CSP

The Warn conversion kit linked was designed around the 27 spline CJ and Scout axleshafts.

I have no idea what kit you ended up with as no D44 ever came with 30 spline outers from the factory. The Scouts were 27 spline and Chevy/Ford/Dodge/Jeep/etc. were 19 spline, but with a larger diameter. Any kit using a lockout for 30 spline axleshafts is going to require a different outer axleshaft and that kit makes no mention of needing new axleshafts.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
shooters_7
1985 CJ7 

Here is the old Warn doc. Look at pg 57 (4) under "Front Hub Conversion" there are two different spline counts. The first is a 27 and the second is a 30. Don't know why but I'm guessing I was sent the second one.
File Type: pdf Warn Axles.pdf (644.5 KB, 19 views)
shooters_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #19
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

After my lockout hub exploded for the second time and bolts shearing off, I finally bit the bullet and converted to internal lockout hubs. I can confirm that the following kit works for my 27 spline outers (stock Dana 30).

Yukon Gear YA W37132
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=8415

I got mine from Summit Racing. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/yga-21666 They are not cheap :-(

There is also a 30 spline version, but not sure for application http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=8416
jurgen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 08:37 AM   #20
Agar426
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen24 View Post
After my lockout hub exploded for the second time and bolts shearing off, I finally bit the bullet and converted to internal lockout hubs. I can confirm that the following kit works for my 27 spline outers (stock Dana 30).

Yukon Gear YA W37132
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=8415

I got mine from Summit Racing. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/yga-21666 They are not cheap :-(

There is also a 30 spline version, but not sure for application http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=8416
How does this kit differ from YA W61650?
Agar426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #21
CSP

There's no way to tell from the information Yukon gives. I'd go straight to Yukon to ask that question.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #22
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Loc-tite.
Also look at Mile-Marker hubs. Best made, PERIOD!
LG
I think Lumpy Grits is on to something.
I used Warn Premiums for years, but I've noticed Mile Marker is better built and works SOLIDLY...

------------

Lockouts are usually a poor install job...

Specifically, people don't clean the threaded mounting holes out correctly,
Leave a bunch of 'RTV' ('Gasket Maker') in the holes,
Don't clean out the rust/crud,
And the bolts back out...

First off, Clean the holes out THROUGHLY, get a pick in there and make sure there isn't any RTV hiding in the bottom of the holes.

Then use a tap and clean the threads out,

Then use a good, CLEAN EVAPORATING solvent in the hole so your thread locker will do it's job...

USE THE CORRECT LENGTH BOLT!
So many people I see use bolts that are too long, and try to make them fit with washers/lock washers,
Or they use bolts that are too short and barely get into the threads.

USE NEW BOLTS!
Use a good quality bolt, one with full engagement threads.
Worn out bolts have rounded over threads and will never stay tight.

Use a 'Blue' thread locker on clean bolts and clean holes.
I've never had one back out with clean, sharp threads and thread locker.

For an extra measure of security, use lock washers or locking tabs to keep that properly installed bolt from backing out with use.

-------------

Not that this will have a lot to do with an internal swap, but guys getting this thread in a search might find it informative...
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #23
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
There's no way to tell from the information Yukon gives. I'd go straight to Yukon to ask that question.
Good luck getting any response from Yukon, I gave up. I think the other part number is for 30 spline outers.
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #24
jurgen24
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agar426 View Post
How does this kit differ from YA W61650?
The kit I got is for 27 spline outers.
Unread 08-21-2014, 09:29 PM   #25
Agar426
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurgen24 View Post
The kit I got is for 27 spline outers.
Agreed! I ended up calling Yukon, and their rep stated that one kit is 27 spline, and the other is for 30 spline (YA W61650).

The 30 spline kit will require 30 spline inners/outers along with the bigger u-joint, which of course is a separate purchase. The downer is that when Warn sold the kit, it was just under $300, and if I remember correctly....I think it came with the outer shafts (at least I remember the picture of the product showing the stub shafts.) Now these kits are $500....
Agar426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.