Intermittent soft pedal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Intermittent soft pedal

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-28-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
row684
1984 CJ7 

My brake pedal randomly goes soft on the first press, firm the second. It has done this the last couple of days and last night my brake light (in the speedo) came on when it was soft. I've checked for leaks and found none. Brake fluid looks awful but is only about 2 years old when I did new lines calipers rotors and pads. Front reservoir was a little low too but hardly enough to bother adding more.

It's all stock manual brakes on an 84.

Master cylinder??? If so can I get a power booster and power master cylinder and will they bolt up to an originally manual Jeep?

row684 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #2
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Bleed the breaks-Sounds like air in the line.
Did you just do some brake work maybe......
LG
Unread 01-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
jcalhoon84
1980 CJ5 

Sounds like a leak, possibly the master cylinder against the firewall...that's what caused that issue on mine.
jcalhoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #4
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits
Bleed the breaks-Sounds like air in the line. Did you just do some brake work maybe...... LG
It's been 2 years since I've had to do the brakes and they have worked fine until now, 2-3000 miles.
I will search for leaks more thoroughly tomorrow but the one reservoir is only down 1/4" over 2 years. the fluid does have a metallic look to it and is very contaminated however (symptom of something?) in the reservoirs would just like to isolate the problem before I flush it all...
Unread 01-28-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

As the brakes wear-The reservoir goes down.
Flush and refill with FRESH/NEW, DOT 3 fluid. Never mix brake fluid types.
See if that changes anything.
LG
Unread 01-29-2014, 02:13 AM   #6
RWise
1981 CJ5 

You might want to look at the rear (drum) brakes, if the auto adjusters stopped funtioning the pedal would slowly go down to the point it needs to be pumped to get enuf fluid to the rear slaves to move the shoes far enuf to hit the drum.

Brake fluid is the most over looked fluid on any vehicle, it seems we expect it to last forever in its sealed system, even though moisture (condesate) can go through metal and contaminate the fluid. Not to mention the particals of metal and ruber floating(or suspended) around in it,,,, which is kinda like grinding compound.
RWise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:04 AM   #7
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise
You might want to look at the rear (drum) brakes, if the auto adjusters stopped funtioning the pedal would slowly go down to the point it needs to be pumped to get enuf fluid to the rear slaves to move the shoes far enuf to hit the drum. Brake fluid is the most over looked fluid on any vehicle, it seems we expect it to last forever in its sealed system, even though moisture (condesate) can go through metal and contaminate the fluid. Not to mention the particals of metal and ruber floating(or suspended) around in it,,,, which is kinda like grinding compound.
The parking brake still works correctly, would this rule out the adjusters?

Any idea where the metal flakes and other crap floating around in it could have come from? The fluid was clean this last summer.
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
row684
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits
As the brakes wear-The reservoir goes down. Flush and refill with FRESH/NEW, DOT 3 fluid. Never mix brake fluid types. See if that changes anything. LG
I will work on that today.
Unread 01-29-2014, 01:03 PM   #9
RWise
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by row684 View Post
The parking brake still works correctly, would this rule out the adjusters?
No but you may be able to set the parking brake and have more pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by row684 View Post
Any idea where the metal flakes and other crap floating around in it could have come from? The fluid was clean this last summer.
Normal wear! The ruber parts rubing against metal parts, also crap that was already in the system. When I worked with hydrolics, the formula they used to predict the next down was 50% of the previous run time, no mater how clean the job was done.
Unread 01-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
jeepmor

Second on checking rear drum adjusters. Sounds like they are not spinning anymore and your brakes have worn, making the wheel cylinders have to move farther to get the brakes to bite. Does not sound like air in lines, although, this is the same symptom typically. Engage E-brake and see if it becomes consistent. If it does, that's it. If not, could be air in there somehow, but doesn't sound likely from your description.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:34 AM   #11
RWise
1981 CJ5 

The adjusters activate when braking in reverse, IF the pedal comes up with the parking brake set, you might try driving in reverse and pumping the brakes, fairly hard stops may jar them loose and let them adust out.
Unread 01-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
jeepmor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWise View Post
The adjusters activate when braking in reverse, IF the pedal comes up with the parking brake set, you might try driving in reverse and pumping the brakes, fairly hard stops may jar them loose and let them adust out.
I used to do this in my culdesac, always wondered if the neighbors thought I was crazy.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2014, 10:07 AM   #13
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

I recently had the cable for the adjusters break in my rear brakes. Check that too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.