Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Intake Manifold part - What is it?

1K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  twildt 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Where does it plug into my new weber 38/38 if i wanted to keep it?

#5 ·
Or if I wanted to cap it off can i do that and how can i do that? with what materials would hold up under the heat?

#6 ·
Ok, capped it off. It's running awesome.

I'm a little worried about he cap I made though. I don't know if the suction on the EGR feeds INTO the intake manifold or feeds OUT of the intake manifold...???

I had a roll of gasket maker. Cork. nice and thick. So I put the butt of the EGR valve on it and traced it with marker and then cut it out. Then I took a strip of aluminum foil and rolled the gasket from top to bottom several times in the aluminum foil. Cut out the holes for the two bolts to go through and this is my cap/gasket between the old EGR and the intake manifold.

I am worried that if the EGR valve feeds/sucks air INTO the manifold and the force of suction is great enough that it may suck a piece of the wrapped aluminum foil into the manifold and down into the pistons.

I didn't have any tin or sheet metal laying around so this is what I came up with. Think the cork would be enough by itself?

Eventually I will try and make a cap with sheet metal or something but for now this is all I got.

#8 ·
I forget why but my throttle body is on the firewall side of the carb. If I had your model I would totally do that! What did you use as a gasket?

A few pics of my setup:

#13 ·

Yeah me too. I had to modify the linkage cable and put on a heavier spring too. I like your setup.

#10 ·
Either make a real cap from steel/aluminum or buy one from summit or another racing site. I would not trust just some cork wrapped in aluminum foil, that's just asking for a major vacuum leak. Until you get one of those spend a buck on a new gasket from the parts store and plug the egr valve back on and leave the vacuum hose disconnected and it will do the same. I have mine capped with a piece of 1/4" aluminum that I cut.
That being said the egr does have a use. It recirculates some exhaust gasses back through the intake which will stop knocking with cheap gas and decrease running temps going down the highway. Also if you have emissions or an inspection Nazi you will fail without it

#12 ·
The EGR valve is what is bad. It has come apart and leaks. It's not the gasket that holds it on. That is why i made that new gasket to seal it off using the old EGR just as a mount plate to hold the new cap i made.

maybe autozone has some aluminum i could buy. im just hoping this cap i made will hold me for a couple of days till i can make a decent one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.