Intake manifold to apply sealant or not?? - JeepForum.com

3Likes
  • 1 Post By pedal2themetai
  • 2 Post By John Strenk

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
stephens_cj5
1981 CJ5 

Intake manifold to apply sealant or not??

I noticed I have fuel leaking out the top of my manifold above # 5 and 6 cylinders. I did not apply sealant to the gasket when I initially assembled the engine but should I have?? The gasket is just cardboard type material that is a single gasket for the headers and manifold.

Should I apply gasket material to the manifold section?

1981 CJ5 ground up restro in progress, finished product will have: 4.2 w/ a 4.0 head conversion, headers, Howell TBI, HEI, D300, AMC 20, D30, 3" lift w/ 33x12.50 BFG. All new hardware, all diffs rebuilt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 02:20 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI ?? If you have fuel seeping out that far down the manifold you have other problems.. any amount of fuel that far down should have been sucked into the cylinder.. are you sure its not oil seeping out the valve cover gasket?
good luck
tim
post #3 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
stephens_cj5
1981 CJ5 

It's definitely gas. I removed the manifold and there's a very slight roughage on the gasket at the top of the #5 and 6 cylinders. By roughage I mean it's like I scratched it with a file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedal2themetai View Post
HI ?? If you have fuel seeping out that far down the manifold you have other problems.. any amount of fuel that far down should have been sucked into the cylinder.. are you sure its not oil seeping out the valve cover gasket?
good luck
tim

1981 CJ5 ground up restro in progress, finished product will have: 4.2 w/ a 4.0 head conversion, headers, Howell TBI, HEI, D300, AMC 20, D30, 3" lift w/ 33x12.50 BFG. All new hardware, all diffs rebuilt.

post #4 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 04:00 PM
STJP
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Please post pictures.

JS
post #5 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 04:22 PM
kovic
1983 CJ5 

I know back in the day When I did my intake manifold I had to buy two sets and double up or it would not seal.

kov
post #6 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 04:45 PM
OrangeCJ-5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovic
I know back in the day When I did my intake manifold I had to buy two sets and double up or it would not seal. kov
Well that was obviously not right. In no circumstance should you double up gaskets. Something was warped or had been milled/machined.
post #7 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 06:11 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI, there is NO way there should be enough fuel at the gasket to soak the gasket Unless its leaking from the float bowl and running down to the gasket on the outside or the power valve is shot and empting the fuel bowl. its ether coolant or oil..
good luck
tim
John Strenk likes this.
post #8 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 06:56 PM
kovic
1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Well that was obviously not right. In no circumstance should you double up gaskets. Something was warped or had been milled/machined.

Lol thats what I thought, but after a one gasket attempt with on success, I took it to a mechanic and they said to double up, they have done it before. It worked like a charm.

kov
post #9 of 15 Old 06-18-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
stephens_cj5
1981 CJ5 

Quote:
HI, there is NO way there should be enough fuel at the gasket to soak the gasket Unless its leaking from the float bowl and running down to the gasket on the outside or the power valve is shot and empting the fuel bowl. its ether coolant or oil..
good luck
tim

post #10 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 05:28 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Is it carbed of fuel injected? If it's injected, you have a leaky supply line or fitting.

Either way, gas cannot leak out of a the gasket between the head and intake manifold. That side of the engine is under suction. NO pressure to blow fuel air out.
STJP and pedal2themetai like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

HI In the pictures I see no residue of anything. What I do see it where the gasket stuck to the top of the head and pealed a little when pulled off but its the same up front I can see #2 and it has the same remnants from the gasket.. Who ever built the motor may have put a little stickem on it to hold it in place. How about a picture of the intake?
JUst saying but you said in your first post that it was the one piece gasket (intake/exhaust) Why is the header bolted up with NO gasket ?? hiding something again just saying??
good luck
tim
post #12 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 04:58 PM
RevDrCueBall
1986 CJ7 

Garage
Testing my memory, but I'm fairly certain the exhaust and intake gasket were 2 piece when I did my rebuild. One covers all the ports, and the other just the intake side.

Like this:

Is everything set correctly? Sounds kinda like the intake valve is open on compression stroke, pushing fuel back toward the carb.....

'86 CJ-7, 258 Nuttered, T5, D300, D30/D44, Rear Aussie Locker, SOA, YJ Springs, 35" MTRs.
post #13 of 15 Old 06-19-2017, 09:38 PM
shum8
1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
.....JUst saying but you said in your first post that it was the one piece gasket (intake/exhaust) Why is the header bolted up with NO gasket ?? hiding something again just saying??
good luck
tim
Hiding something again?? What is he supposed to be hiding? If you look in post 9 you will see a one piece gasket in place between the head and header...... better look again.......

"Gimmicks and fads are for teenage girls and teenage boys that want to be girls." JeepHammer
post #14 of 15 Old 06-20-2017, 04:32 AM
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDrCueBall View Post
T...

Is everything set correctly? Sounds kinda like the intake valve is open on compression stroke, pushing fuel back toward the carb.....

Maybe we should of asked if the engine is running properly.

I Assumed that since it had fuel collecting on the intake he must of had it running and the fuel was all he was seeing. If the intake was hanging open during compression hard enough to blow it out of the gasket then he would be having major problems.

Just think for a minute, for fuel being able to push past a gasket when it would be far easier to push out the carb. That would be a lot of pressure.

post #15 of 15 Old 06-20-2017, 08:32 AM
pedal2themetai
1956 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shum8 View Post
Hiding something again?? What is he supposed to be hiding? If you look in post 9 you will see a one piece gasket in place between the head and header...... better look again.......
HI if you look again you well see that the gasket is torn at the bolt.. what you are seeing is where the gasket did not get cleaned off. a one piece gasket covers all ports with one gasket. you can see the torn gasket going under the exhaust manifold at #6. If you look at post #12 you well see that the exhaust gasket is shiny and thick and covers all the ports including intake, I see no shiny gasket on that exhaust in post #9
good luck
tim

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.