Intake to exhaust manifold gasket - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Intake to exhaust manifold gasket

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 11-10-2012, 10:06 AM   #1
drowny
1980 CJ7 

Intake to exhaust manifold gasket

Maybe it doesnt matter, but Ill try to ask. I have 80 CJ-7 258 and I have my intake manifold and exhaust manifold off. The new gasket to attach them together is flat on one side and dimpled on the other. I am re using the intake manifold but installing new exhaust manifold due to many cracks in the old one. Does it matter which side of the gasket i put to the intake or exaust manifold? I was assuming the flat side goes to the intake surface.

drowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

I believe I've always put mine dimpled side to the manifold. It made sense to me since it's the "crush" side and you're crushing the manifold to the block.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
drowny
1980 CJ7 

sorry if i did not exlain it properly, i am talking about the rectanglular gasket that goes between the intake manifold and exhaust manifold for when they are bolted together. Have you ever had the two apart before?
drowny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #4
skizriz
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowny View Post
sorry if i did not exlain it properly, i am talking about the rectanglular gasket that goes between the intake manifold and exhaust manifold for when they are bolted together. Have you ever had the two apart before?
If I remember correctly, one side had a metallic surface. I believe I put that surface towards the hottest part, the exhaust manifold.
Unread 11-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #5
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

gotcha, sorry I didn't read that correctly. My manifolds don't made up, they have this stupid $40 tube running between them that you have to buy separately from the jeep dealership

I'd do like skiz says.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.