installing one piece axles in amc 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > installing one piece axles in amc 20

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-19-2003, 06:54 AM   #1
c_herrman

installing one piece axles in amc 20

Hi guys,
I"m installing heavy duty one piece axles by Yukon Gearing in my cj....the first problem is that there were no intstructions, or diagrams as to the order of pressing....my second question has to do with how the new axles are held in to place? any help, suggestions, diagrams etc. would be greatly appreciated....i want to get these in right
Cory

c_herrman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2003, 11:19 AM   #2
dana60cj

There should be some kind of bearing retainer, a bearing/race, and some sort of shim to fit in the housing and a seal.

The first to go on the shaft, on the bottom when the splines are in the air and the flange is on the ground, is the bearing retainer, then the brake backing plate, then the bearing, then the race, then the shim, or shims. The shim will probably be a round block. The seal is pressed to the back of the housing,CAREFULLY. Then the whole thing goes in, the four bolts on the bearing retainer bolt to the axle end. Lube the seals with some oil to prevent burning them up before oil can reach them.

Hope it helps I've taken a few apart to fix them, and install them. Any more q's write Me. Good luck.
'84 CJ-7, 6" lift, 33" BFG's, I6, .030 Over, Comp Cam, 400cfm Weber, K&N, T-18, 4 Core, Snorkel, D60 Detroit, Custom CV Driveshaft, 1350 U-Joints, D30 True Trac, Alloy shafts, S.R.S. w/ buggy springs, Custom Folding Shackles and Spring Hinges, Custum Tire Rack, Designed On Board Air, Optima's. Sneaky Jeep Owner #3.
dana60cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2003, 12:23 PM   #3
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

I would call Yukon Gear or whoever you made the purchase from and ask for the instructions. That way there will be no misinterpretation of some one else's directions. Correct installation of your axle kit can affect the safety of your vehicle as well as eliminate the possibility of messing something up.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
knowlwk@snowhill.com
1980 CJ7 

I second calling the manufacturer. Get it right the first time.

Some donut hole that had my CJ before I got it didn't install a set of Moser's correctly.. I pulled them to fix a leaky seal and the bearings (what was left of them) fell apart in my hands. Whoever installed them left the spacer out and the bearing came apart in the tube, chewing up the brake backing plate and end of the axle tube. The bearing rollers looked like pistol slugs shot through a 2x4.

I ordered a new set of bearing and seals, and follwed the instructions... about 4500 miles now, without problems.
Unread 06-21-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
magicmudder

Check their website. I think I remember seeing instructions on their. They also have a great gear installation write-up. I would link directly, but I don't have adobe acrobat on this computer so I can't get to that page but their website is http://www.yukongear.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.