Installing Howell / 4.0 head swap w/summit cdi - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Installing Howell / 4.0 head swap w/summit cdi

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #31
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Hey man congrats on the jeep being done...nice work! You are the first guy I have seen put a 4.0 head on and not do mopar injection. I am about a week behind you on the Howell install on my buddies jeep. I already put one on my jeep 4 yrs ago so it's a little easier this time. My question is how do you feel about the basic tune it came with? You said it making good power, do you smell any gas? I had to have Howell burn me some chips because mine didn't run to well in the beginning but my engine is far from stock.

Anyway just wondering, I'm trying to wrap his project up so we can take it the outer banks Labor Day weekend. I won't have too much time to dick with the tune. Gonna be get it inspected and boom...400 mile trip with the jeeps. I'm hoping his starts and runs well from the beginning. Thanks!

jayzcj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #32
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

Thanks.. I bought this Howell tbi used off eBay, so, I'm not sure if the previous owner had any problem during the initial start-up. Other than the throttle position sensor being bad in the beginning, tuning seems perfect. No exhaust smells or anything, and I'm really happy with the increase in power. When I went to the state emissions testing center they didn't even run a full test like the previous times. The test shut it self down at the beginning of 4th gear. He asked me for the $30.00, I got in my jeep and he handed me the papers said it passed.
I wouldn't have a problem attempting a 400 mile trip with my jeep now. My gas mileage went from 11 or 12 to about 17 or 18. Which means I can actually afford to drive to my old camping spots in it. Hope your buddies jeep turns out the same way.
81azcj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 07:30 PM   #33
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Thanks man I appreciate it! I'll post something up on how it came out. Enjoy!
Unread 07-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #34
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Hey man can u post a pic of ur throttle cable set up? This doesn't look right to me and I want to see what u did...thanks!
Unread 07-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #35
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

My cj had the ca smog set up, everything from howell was a plug and play for me. Hope this helps
h114.jpg

h113.jpg

h112.jpg

Unread 07-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #36
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Cool man that helps! We were missing a bracket that we just located so thanks again!
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

** Update** It's been about 1000 miles since the I've finished the swap and TBI, everything works just as it did when I got done. The cork valve cover gasket is holding well with no leaks and the Howell TBI seems to run better each time I drive it. Gas millage (17 to 18 avg) and plenty of quick steady power. Runs at about 2500rpm at 70 mph. Steady idle at 650rpm.
Unread 08-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #38
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81azcj7
** Update** It's been about 1000 miles since the I've finished the swap and TBI, everything works just as it did when I got done. The cork valve cover gasket is holding well with no leaks and the Howell TBI seems to run better each time I drive it. Gas millage (17 to 18 avg) and plenty of quick steady power. Runs at about 2500rpm at 70 mph. Steady idle at 650rpm.
That's awesome man! I got my buddies running and things are working pretty well too. Haven't driven it yet but driveshafts will be here next week. Hey, what did u do with your intake manifold heater? Is it hooked up or did u do away with it?
Unread 08-18-2013, 11:46 PM   #39
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayzcj5 View Post
That's awesome man! I got my buddies running and things are working pretty well too. Haven't driven it yet but driveshafts will be here next week. Hey, what did u do with your intake manifold heater? Is it hooked up or did u do away with it?
I decided not to use the manifold heater since most of our nights average around 35 to 40 in the winter time. I called Howell and the tech said it shouldn't be a problem. I might be regretting that though when hunting season comes around and I'm up in the mountains. But, I can always find the power for it if it becomes a problem. I had read a couple of good write ups on it here on the forum that explain the power hook up pretty well.
Unread 08-19-2013, 04:33 AM   #40
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81azcj7

I decided not to use the manifold heater since most of our nights average around 35 to 40 in the winter time. I called Howell and the tech said it shouldn't be a problem. I might be regretting that though when hunting season comes around and I'm up in the mountains. But, I can always find the power for it if it becomes a problem. I had read a couple of good write ups on it here on the forum that explain the power hook up pretty well.
Yea I'm going to try and get away without it for now and see what happens? My CJ5 doesn't have one and its pretty good during cold start up so we will have to see I guess? Glad to hear your rig is performing well. People knock the Howell kit but I think it's a really nice set up for our older jeeps.
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #41
james04si

1977 CJ5 

I have a 77 that originally had the intake and exhaust manifold bolted together with no electric heater. I built a 80 258 with aluminum intake with the electric heater. Needless to say I didn't have the wiring so I put it in without. On colder days sub 40* it takes a few mins to run perfectly. About the time the TBI temp sensor reads 150* using the aldl cable and a laptop its smooth as can be. And no its not because it finally hits close loop that happens within a minute of starting it and before it runs perfect. I can still jump in turn the key and drive right away.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #42
jayzcj5
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james04si
I have a 77 that originally had the intake and exhaust manifold bolted together with no electric heater. I built a 80 258 with aluminum intake with the electric heater. Needless to say I didn't have the wiring so I put it in without. On colder days sub 40* it takes a few mins to run perfectly. About the time the TBI temp sensor reads 150* using the aldl cable and a laptop its smooth as can be. And no its not because it finally hits close loop that happens within a minute of starting it and before it runs perfect. I can still jump in turn the key and drive right away.
That's had been pretty much my experience with my first set up on my CJ5. I think I will be fine without it but if I get bored I might try and hook it up as intended. Haven't searched any threads on it yet so hopefully they turn up some good info?
Unread 08-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #43
Frenimy
1981 CJ7 

I am currently gathering the parts to do this install. I will do the Howell first and already have an MSD cdi box, The head will be done with a complete engine rebuild and possibly add a better camshaft. Did you noticed any added HP from this setup or just better running and driving characteristics? I am mostly looking for driving characteristics and auto adjust for elevation, but a few extra ponies would be nice while climbing the grades to the hunting spots.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #44
81azcj7
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenimy View Post
Did you noticed any added HP from this setup or just better running and driving characteristics? I am mostly looking for driving characteristics and auto adjust for elevation, but a few extra ponies would be nice while climbing the grades to the hunting spots.
I noticed a big improvement in HP, mpg, running and driving charateristics. I've read a few comments on some write ups where some didn't notice a difference, but, for me it was a very good investment. The ole cj seems to just perform and run better over all now. I still need to put my CDI box back on, even with out it it runs really good.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.