Installing Armor on CJ7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Installing Armor on CJ7

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
primetime166
1984 CJ7 

Installing Armor on CJ7

I am brand new the the Jeep world, have no clue what I am doing... I want to install diamond plated armor on my CJ, what looks best? what should i armor up and what should I not... Most importantly how do you install the armor? Is this something I can do myself? If not who do I go to get it installed? What kind of pricing will i be looking at to get it installed?

thanks to all who replies

Ryan

primetime166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Folks around here usually go with rear corners and rocker protection.

That said, make sure you anchor it right. It either has to be able to breath and drain or it needs to be sealed good to prevent rot. You would need a butyl or some kind of non reactive 'glue' to seal it. Stay far away from silicone sealers, they outgass acetic acid that eats steel when it gets wet.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
yellow85cj
1985 CJ7 

Mike - how do you get them to "breath/drain"?
Would a nylon washer (1/16") between the corner guard and tub work?
yellow85cj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 10:51 AM   #4
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow85cj View Post
Mike - how do you get them to "breath/drain"?
Would a nylon washer (1/16") between the corner guard and tub work?
I have seen it done that way, even with steel washers so they can be rinsed out also. I live in the rust belt where you don't want anything to collect mud which stays wet and holds salt.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #5
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime166 View Post
I want to install diamond plated armor on my CJ, what looks best? Most importantly how do you install the armor? Is this something I can do myself?
Do not pay someone else to install the armor. It's fairly easy to do.

I purchased the Warrior brand diamond plate corners. There are other companies that make them though. I used AtoZ Fabrication for the rockers (sides under the doors). Since some guys use the stock tail lights and some guys go with LED tail lights, make sure you KNOW what you'll be using as tail lights before you order the corners since they come with the openings pre-cut. You can also order them un-cut if you're not sure.

Get/buy/borrow a few woodworking clamps with soft jaw tips. Use the ones with wider mouths.

Put the armor piece in place and clamp it to the body.

Put masking tape on the drill areas. Measure out the holes so they look uniform - do NOT eyeball it. Use drill bits with points OR use a center punch to mark the holes. Drill 3/16" holes into the body through the pre-drilled holes in the armor piece.

NOTE: Make SURE to look behind what you are drilling into so that wires or other things don't get damaged by the drill bit coming through. AND wear eye protection!

Use a shop-vac to scoop up ALL the metal shavings. My bare feet always seem to want to step on the shavings and it's never pretty.

Use a rivet gun to install 3/16" rivets through the armor and body to secure. After a couple rivet s are secured, remove the clamps.

Seal edges with butyl (comes in black or white). Although if you use paintable caulk, it'll be even more protected and color coordinated once painted.

Stand back and admire your work and smile - you just saved some money. So go buy yourself (and any assistant of age) a 12-pack of beer. Sit. Open. Drink. Repeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broseph View Post
The thread will derail quicker than a walrus on a Crisco-soaked Slip 'n' Slide.

Last edited by CopperCJ7; 08-10-2008 at 05:36 PM..
CopperCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #6
primetime166
1984 CJ7 

thanks

thanks a lot for your advice that makes me want to get out there and do it right now
Unread 08-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #7
Smtty58
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just have one thing to add to Coppers' excellent instructions. After you drill all the holes, remove the armor and paint the drilled holes, and treat any areas with surface rust that the armor will cover. One thing I do when I work with riveting a panel, as I drill the holes I pop a Cleco in to make sure everything stays lined up. A Cleco is a temporary rivet made just for this type of work. Lots of places sell them, or imitations, make sure you get the special pliers to install them if you decide to try them.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

Western Mass. 4x4
Smtty58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
thanks a lot for your advice that makes me want to get out there and do it right now
Sure thing.

The black stuff can get very messy and leave a residue. The white is less tacky and less messy BUT both are expensive - especially when purchased in large rolls.

The way to make it go a long way is to take smaller pieces of it, roll it in your hands like Play Doh and make thinner and longer pieces.

Personally, I've seen too many instances where the butyl doesn't stand up to the elements and either falls out or fails. That's why I made SURE to properly seal the corners with paintable silicone. Apply it, let it "cure" for a few minutes and then use a damp sponge and run it over the bead of silicone - to make it smooth and get into every opening.

If you really want to use butyl, I have rolls and rolls of it. I can send you some, if you honestly can't find any in your area. I won't charge you much and a little for shipping. Sometimes they don't call it butyl, but they use it to install windshield glass in some applications. It looks like (black or white) 3/8" modeling clay that's very a sticky chord shape... usually.

Quote:
What CJ owner doesn't want to hack up his harness for the next owner to have fun with?
Quote:

Last edited by CopperCJ7; 08-10-2008 at 06:03 PM..
Unread 08-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #9
primetime166
1984 CJ7 

I might just take you up on that, thanks so much, now i got to order the parts, besides putting the diamond plate on the back corners does it look good anywhere else on the body?
Unread 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Also, there are many makers of rivets in all different sizes and colors too. Not just black or aluminum (silver). If that's something that matters to you. I found them on eBay in small and large packs.

One other thing to keep in mind, the area where the fender flare meets the installed corner MAY have to be modded to ensure a better joint.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM   #11
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I might just take you up on that, thanks so much, now i got to order the parts, besides putting the diamond plate on the back corners does it look good anywhere else on the body?
That's completely up to you...In my opinion. It depends on the look or color of the Jeep versus the other components of the Jeep.

For instance, I went with A to Z Fabrication's rockers because they offer them in diamond plate.

And I used it for the front frame section - under the winch...

And then I went a little wacky in the interior. I went to this amazing auto upholstery place and purchased "hammered copper" and black diamond plate fabrics (it also comes in silver) - but ALL vinyl

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-10-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Not to thread jack, but whats the final verdict on sealant? Butyl or Silicon? I'm going through the same process.

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2008, 06:06 PM   #13
CopperCJ7
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGoose View Post
Not to thread jack, but whats the final verdict on sealant? Butyl or Silicon? I'm going through the same process.
If you use paintable silicone AND make sure to use the damp sponge to ensure a good seal, then you're okay. I just won't trust the butyl to the elements. I've seen that stuff get wet and become usless or fail. Same thing in extreme heat - it just doesn't stand up to the elements like a GOOD quality silicone PROPERLY APPLIED will.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 08-10-2008, 09:07 PM   #14
LostINohiO
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
That's completely up to you...In my opinion. It depends on the look or color of the Jeep versus the other components of the Jeep.

For instance, I went with A to Z Fabrication's rockers because they offer them in diamond plate.

And I used it for the front frame section - under the winch...

And then I went a little wacky in the interior. I went to this amazing auto upholstery place and purchased "hammered copper" and black diamond plate fabrics (it also comes in silver) - but ALL vinyl

awesome jeep Copper!

love that vinyl faux diamond plate interior touch... looks amazing.
Unread 08-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #15
CrazyHorse6
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperCJ7 View Post
If you use paintable silicone AND make sure to use the damp sponge to ensure a good seal, then you're okay. I just won't trust the butyl to the elements. I've seen that stuff get wet and become usless or fail. Same thing in extreme heat - it just doesn't stand up to the elements like a GOOD quality silicone PROPERLY APPLIED will.
Thanks copper - I'll probably go with an all weather silicone - liquid nails.
Thanks

Are you military or former military? Take a look at militaryjeepers.com!
CrazyHorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.