Installing an alarm in a CJ5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Installing an alarm in a CJ5

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #1
cracked91
1978 CJ5 

Installing an alarm in a CJ5

I don't really know how this would work, seeing as the doors come off often, as with the top. I have an autopage alarm that was given to me, and I was going to pay someone to do it, I just have no idea how it would be set up.

Anyone have an alarm and want to share?

cracked91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The shock sensor would be the only thing active (maybe the ignition disable) when the doors are off. You would have to pull the fuse for the dome light if you have one (or unplug the door switches)

I had one in my YJ for awhile, but with the doors off I got more false triggers from the shock sensor. I wouldn't do it again, I would just do a battery cutoff switch and maybe a hood lock if your worried about theft. Honestly even those are easily bypassed, but it is something anyway.
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
cracked91
1978 CJ5 

Its not really theft of the vehicle Im worried about, its theft of the sound system I want to put in, but honesty, I think I am just going to put personal alarms around the speaker cones so they start going off when you pull one, cause those things are LOUD~
cracked91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

Problem solved

Mike D.
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 09:47 AM   #5
jeepskate
Web Wheeler
1986 CJ7 

Easiest thing to do is hide as much of your stuff as possible and make everything difficult to remove. I don't even lock the doors on my Jeep. I use a Masterac (predecessor to Tuffy) center console bolted through the floor for the head unit and signal processors (it has locks on the lid plus an additional bar that you can slide in and secure with a padlock). Amps are under the back seat and bolted down with security torx, speakers are screwed in with torx, and the sub box is bolted in as well. If a thief wants something, they're either going to have have to spend a bunch of time at it with the right tools, or destory it trying to remove it. The last vehicle break in that I had, they smashed the window on my ZJ and ripped out the head unit, then walked up to the CJ-7, opened the door, saw that big hunk of metal between the seats, and left.
jeepskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

There are those proximity 'radar' sensors you could use, they were designed for convertibles. I had thought about it for mine, but where I wanted to mount the sensor it was not a good place - under the dash out of sight. Read up on them, and decide for yourself.

I have a POS 10 year old head unit that works but would be no loss, 2 Sony Xplode 6x9 in cheap Walmart speaker boxes, and a length of 4-way trailer harness wire for speaker wire. The head unit won't damage anything if they try to rip it out, and the speakers are no big loss. I would hate to have to spend more money to replace the stuff, but the whole thing isn't worth that much. Don't make your stuff look desirable and it won't attract attention. I won't get that much quality sound from it, but you won't hear it too well buzzin down the highway anyways, and if you trail ride the Jeep, why spend $$$ on something water/mud can destroy easily?

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:19 PM   #7
johnschat
1981 CJ5 

LoJack

Get LoJack installed and you will get the Jeep back before anyone can take a wrench to it. I just had the early waining installed and if the Jeep moves without the key fob I will get a call on my cell, home and work phone as well as text and email alerts.
johnschat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #8
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnschat View Post
Get LoJack installed and you will get the Jeep back before anyone can take a wrench to it. I just had the early waining installed and if the Jeep moves without the key fob I will get a call on my cell, home and work phone as well as text and email alerts.
LoJack is cool but not available in my area.
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:20 AM   #9
CJFF29
1979 CJ7 

I plan on leaving my 32 year old stock stereo in place and putting a newer functioning one in the center console. My hope is they see the knobs and realize it is older than they are and move on to the next vehicle. As for your speakers you could probably come up with something creative as well.
CJFF29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 05:24 AM   #10
CJFF29
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
Problem solved

I have two GS's and most people will cross the street rather than walk by my puppies!
CJFF29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #11
OldTexas
1984 CJ7 

All I want is an AM radio anyways.

... Jion us live IRC at #JeepForum on FreeNode.Net ....
OldTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.