Installing aftermarket fuel gauge - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Installing aftermarket fuel gauge

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 12-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #1
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Installing aftermarket fuel gauge

Good morning everyone,
Here is my issue. I want to install a sunpro fuel gauge up to my 84 cj7. What do I need to accomplish this? Is it just running the wire from the tank to the gauge and a ground? Or is it more then just that?

usmarine3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
caseman580
1976 CJ7 

you need to make sure you have a gauge with the correct ohms range 1st unless you are changing the float in the tank as well. then follow the directions given with the new gauge. its pretty simple and straight foward.
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #3
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

IIRC: If the gauge is GM compatible, it should work. They have the same Ohm requirements from the sender.

There are plenty of threads here on how to measure the resistance of the sender and you should be able to find the Ohm values easily by searching.
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well the issue is that I had nordskog gauges in and removed them. So I'm assuming it had its own fuel sender to work with the gauge. Think it might work with this gauge?

I found the fuel sender that works with the sunpro gauge but it says it's for tanks 5"-25" in deep. Will this work with a 18 gallon tank?
Unread 12-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Take an ohm meter and check the existing sender at empty and full and see what it's range is.

Compare those readings to the requirements of the new gauge and take it from there.

You are asking too many vague questions and no one will have an answer until you have all the facts. It's that simple.
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
usmarine3521
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine3521
Well the issue is that I had nordskog gauges in and removed them. So I'm assuming it had its own fuel sender to work with the gauge. Think it might work with this gauge?

I found the fuel sender that works with the sunpro gauge but it says it's for tanks 5"-25" in deep. Will this work with a 20 gallon tank?
http://www.jcwhitney.com/fuel-level-...b952c27170u0j1
Unread 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM   #7
caseman580
1976 CJ7 

That sender is probably not going to be a direct fit. that appears to be a bolt in sender and the one you most likely have is a twist lock on the tank. It would be best to test the sender you have in there now for the ohms range and make sure if it is working or not. Then check the gauge. they may be a matched set, but until you do the test you will not know. There are several write ups on here detailing how to test them if you dont know how. just do a search.
Unread 12-28-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

USMarine,
Thanks for your service to our country.
The sender you linked is just a sender, no pickup tube for the fuel. That may make the gauge work, but will sure make problems for engine performance...

IronMaiden has good advice in finding out the range of resistance of your current sender.
If your sender is a factory type, the resistance range 73 ohms=full tank to 10 ohms=empty tank. Depending upon how much fuel is in the tank when you measure resistance, your reading will be within this range. if it isn't, there is another problem. Zero(0) resistance means a short in the wiring to the gauge, or the gauge itself. Infinite resistance (no reading at all) indicates either a broken wire or a bad sending unit, or bad ground for the sender.

It is entirely possible to have a combination of the above mentioned problems. (ie, shorted wire/bad sender)
You may have to drop the tank, replace the sender renew the ground, and rewire to gauge before you are done.

The easiest thing to do first is check resistance by disconnecting the sender wire at the gauge, get a multimeter, set to resistance range, find a good ground for one of the leads, and hook the other lead to the sender wire.
See what ya got, then proceed from there. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
james04si

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmarine3521

I found the fuel sender that works with the sunpro gauge but it says it's for tanks 5"-25" in deep. Will this work with a 18 gallon tank?
The nordskog gauge could very well have worked with the original sender. I had intelletronics digital gauges that were the same manufacturer as nordskog gauges and it was the correct 73/10 ohm gauge. Like others have said the only way to know for sure would be to take a multimeter to the sending unit and find out the full/empty ohms.
james04si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.