installed new ignition, carb & manifold on my 304 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > installed new ignition, carb & manifold on my 304

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 05-25-2004, 06:42 PM   #1
Marc CJ7

installed new ignition, carb & manifold on my 304

Just got finished upgrading my stock 304 points ignition, 2bbl carb and manifold to a DUI, Edelbrock 600 cfm carb & performer manifold. Man what a difference, its like a totally new engine under the hood. Im able to spin the tires from a roll in 2nd gear .

Everything was running fine for the inital test drive, I went about 1 mile and came back home to clean up the tools and I jump back in to take another ride but I only made it about 50' and it dies on me. I think its electrical because the starter is spinning but its not sparking. I checked the jungle that I call the fuse block and found some fuses that looked broke so I threw new ones in there but still no spark??? Anyone have any ideas, I'm open for suggestions... even stupid ones.

Thanks

[url=http://forum.vwsport.com/dload.php?action=file&id=2040]12.641 @ 110mph - spraying[/url]
Marc CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2004, 10:33 PM   #2
CJ-5

New

check all the new stuff first, maybe you never tightened somthing down or somthing was not quiet plugged in all the way, and came loose on your little rip around the neighbourhood.
CJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2004, 06:09 AM   #3
Marc CJ7

went over everthing again last night but didn't see what the problem was. Today when I get home I will use the multi-meter & test light to see what the problem is. I am almost 100% sure its spark related because the starter spins but the plug wires don't arch... still open for suggestions.

thanks
[url=http://forum.vwsport.com/dload.php?action=file&id=2040]12.641 @ 110mph - spraying[/url]
Unread 05-26-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
Marc CJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc CJ7
went over everthing again last night but didn't see what the problem was. Today when I get home I will use the multi-meter & test light to see what the problem is. I am almost 100% sure its spark related because the starter spins but the plug wires don't arch... still open for suggestions.

thanks
just wanted to add one question to the post, what kind of vacume advance system does a 304 have? The carb says there are 2 kinds (vacume advanced & something else I can't recall) of different systems, I just want to make sure I have my vacume hose coming off the D.U.I.

Thanks.
Unread 05-26-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
Marc CJ7

OK, I found the problem. The drive gear on the D.U.I. distributor is worn out, it probably happened when I started the jeep up the first time and didn't have the distrbuter clamped all the way down. It sounded like a crunching noise just like when it died on me yesterday. So does anyone know where I can get a new on of these??

where can I find a 304 AMC V8 D.U.I. distributor drive gear???

thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.