Installed NavajoBreak Booster - cab brake light and Holley Carb Vacuum port help reqd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Installed NavajoBreak Booster - cab brake light and Holley Carb Vacuum port help reqd

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 04-26-2014, 04:45 PM   #1
MikePallot
1979 CJ5 

Installed NavajoBreak Booster - cab brake light and Holley Carb Vacuum port help reqd

Hi Folks,
First time posting. I have a 1979 CJ5 with a Holley Truck Avenger 470 carb on an AMC 304 motor . This weekend I uprated the brakes from the standard original master cylinder to a Navajo dual diaphragm brake booster and new cylinder.

Tested the system, after bleeding the brakes and they work okay but have two queries:

1. Vacuum port for brake booster on the Holley carb - I am not convinced the brake booster is working - wondering if I connected the booster port up to the right connection on the carb - see attached photo for setup and the one I connected it to is:

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i.../holley600.jpg

The brake pedal travels a good way, and then stops the car quickly. But I wouldn't say it was super powerful yet.

2. The brake light on the speedo is permanently on now - what did I do wrong?

Any tips gratefully appreciated - the vac port on the carb is the biggest issue - after spending the $$ on a Navajo brake booster I want it working perfectly!

Thanks folks
Mike

Last edited by MikePallot; 04-26-2014 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: added detail
MikePallot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
zillla
1975 CJ5 

As I remember my vac port comes off the manifold.. My engine is a 304 with an Edlebrock manifold
Unread 04-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
MikePallot
1979 CJ5 

Thanks Zilla, changed the vac port to the manifold now. Check out the picture attached. Any ideas on the brake light issue? Also, the brake pedal has a lot of travel in it now. I haven't started up yet, will this resolve it the pedal travel or do I just need to bleed the brakes again?

Appreciate the help
Mike
booster-setuo.jpg  
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:21 AM   #4
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Mine comes off in a different location. Like right behind where your coil is.. It is a large brass 90 fitting that I took off the OEM manifold. My brakes go down pretty far too. There is an adjustment behind the Vac booster on the pedal rod.. I have an issue with VAc draw at my altitude. I am installing an electric vac pump to make up for it.. I also know that the MC piston size can affect the braking. Mine now has an 1-1/8" vette MC, but OEM is 1". If the vac pump doesn't get things to my liking I am going to install anew 1" MC..
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #5
CSP

Either location is going to be manifold vacuum. One won't make a difference over the other.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Mike,

Sorry I don't have any suggestions for you. But, I've been eyeballing the Navajo booster for a while, so I hope you keep us updated on your progress.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
jammer1

Brake light on and a soft pedal, you probably have air in the brake lines or the Mc has some air. The light comes on when the piston in the proportionate valve is not centered.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 05:49 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer1 View Post
Brake light on and a soft pedal, you probably have air in the brake lines or the Mc has some air. The light comes on when the piston in the proportionate valve is not centered.
I agree, Could be 1/2 the system not working.

Need to center the combination valve before bleeding or it could get frustrating getting all the air out.

Also make sure the rear drums, if you have them are adjusted properly. Otherwise you eat up a lot of pedal travel moving the shoes before making contact.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2014, 07:22 AM   #9
zillla
1975 CJ5 

Good call Jammer, I completely forgot about the brake switch..
Unread 05-01-2014, 03:02 PM   #10
MikePallot
1979 CJ5 

Thanks for the suggestions folks. The brake light has sorted itself out. Comes on when it should now. I think I just need to bleed the lines a bunch more. Didn't know about the rear shoes so will look into that. Makes sense about half the system working in that case.

Happy with the Navajo booster, not the cheapest option. But when it's your brakes best not going cheap!

Thanks again folks!
Unread 05-01-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
zillla
1975 CJ5 

I looked at their site but didn't see prices.
Unread 05-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #12
jammer1

I've got the vanco brakes (same style with the vette MC). Different feel from stock but if you hit the brakes on the freeway in panic mode you'll lock up the brakes. Have to tell myself when I drive her to touch the brakes lightly. Once you get use to them their great.
jammer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #13
MikePallot
1979 CJ5 

They configure the booster setups based on your engine power and usage etc my setup cost $380. Bolt in was easy and great telephone support from Cody at OffAgain.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.