Install of Aluminum Valve Cover - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Install of Aluminum Valve Cover

Halloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-17-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
Vonster

Install of Aluminum Valve Cover

Need some help with the installation of my new aluminum valve cover. I have tried the valve on for size a ‘dry fit” and it fits perfect.

First, before I continue the instructions I have are crap and I haven’t found anything on any online forums that help so I’m giving this a try before I take in somewhere. Second, everything I have found leads me to believe that every 258 made is different.

I know the valve cover fits and I know all of the holes line up perfect. However, the two holes on the driver side are not deep enough and are not threaded (this is the side near the intake manifold). I’m not sure what these holes were used for but I want to use them for my valve cover ( I read this what I should do). My question is how deep can I drill these holes so that I can use them so nothing gets franked up? Second, can you use RTV on the cork gasket or not? I have heard not to and I have heard its OK…HELP ME….

Vonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 12:38 AM   #2
1bflm

I did some searchin and came up with the following web site that does a step by step on what you have to do. There is a "Notes" section that has some pretty good descriptions on what to watch out for.

http://www.skidmore.edu/~pdwyer/amc/...valvecover.htm

I hope this helps I if you have an issue getting to it I can post the step by step for you. Good luck!
1bflm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #3
Galt
1983 CJ7 

I just installed one about a month ago. You do have to tap those two holes on the drivers side. I went to far and had to repair it. I broke through into the coolant passage. Whoops. It was an easy fix with some epoxy putty but it would have been better if I didn't have to go through all that.

If you only drill down about a 1/2" you should be fine. Be real carefull though. I would suggest using a dull drill bit. You know how a sharp one likes to get ahead of itself if your not real cautious. I did use RTV on the cork gasket. It's sealing fine. I also did not bother with the nut on the backside by the firewall. It is a PITA to get to.

Have fun.
jeep_engine_bay.jpg  
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 01:23 AM   #4
bdmonist
WTF is that?

1984 CJ7 

You could cut off your studs to fit, find shorter studs, or use washers if you are uncomfortable drilling the holes deeper. You won't have to worry about driling too far down if you're not drilling! I would place the RTV on the valve cover, then set the cork gasket on the RTV, let it set for about 45 minutes, then install. I did mine this way and it helped keep the gasket in place where I wanted it while installing it on the head. Tighten the bolts a little at a time and you're good to go

AMC 20 Write Up
In Progress - 4.56 gears, Aussie Rear Locker, Moser 1 Piece Axles
Coming Soon - CV Shafts, Welded Tubes, trusses
bdmonist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 02:17 AM   #5
Vonster

Install of Aluminum Valve Cover

Thanks!! I appreciate the assistance from everyone.....I will give it a go with a dull drill bit to about 1/2" below the bottomof the hole but I will use shorter bolts.
Vonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 02:43 AM   #6
wm69

I've put two of these on and didn't drill either one any deeper, just got shorter bolts from lowe's. Get a bottom tap, tap the two holes without drilling them any deeper, get shorter bolts, use RTV, and bolt it on. DON"T overtighten the bolts or you'll crack your valve cover. No more leaks.

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
wm69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2006, 02:45 AM   #7
Shameless Elmer
1983 CJ5 

Before you start drilling, stick the drill bit into the existing hole in the head. Wrap a piece of tape, duct tape, masking tape or electrical tape 1/2" above the point where the top of the hole meets the drill bit. Put the drill bit in the drill motor and drill the head until the tape reaches the top of the hole. Also, since you have the hole depth marked with tape, go ahead and use a sharp drill bit to make the drilling easier. Be sure to use some lubricating oil while drilling to keep the bit cool.
Be sure to use a "bottoming tap" when you tap out the hole, therwise the threads won't be cut all the way to the bottom of the hole. A "bottoming tap" will be flat on the end, as opposed to having a point on the end.
Also, be sure to cover the area under the valve cover so none of the drill shavings drop into the engine.
Shameless Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 03:27 PM   #8
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Old thread, but I am awakening it. Anyone know off hand what size tap I need to buy? I'm hoping to stop by lowes in about 20/30 mins.

Thanks.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-07-2010, 03:33 PM   #9
iluvcowjuice
1979 CJ7 

If you click the link in the 2nd post it says a 1/4" by 20.
iluvcowjuice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
twoscooterz
1986 CJ7 

Can I get the right allen head bolts @ Home Depot of Lowes? Does the grade or finish matter?
'86 CJ7 Laredo, 258, Weber 38, DUI, T5 w/Hurst shifter, 4.56 Dana 30, AMC 20, Detroit TruTrac, Moser axles & Blue Torch truss, Dana 300, stock YJ springs SUA, 33" MTR's, Poison Spyder sliders, NewGen tank cover, Warn 9.5ti w/synthetic rope
twoscooterz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Torxhead
1986 CJ7 

Usually when you purchase those Allen head bolts, they come with a black oxide finish. Theres usually enough oil leaking around there to get on them and prevent any rust. All the ones I have seen are made to Grade 8 standards, that should not be a problem anyway, because they don't get that tight. Clean out the hole and use locktite. Most any hardware store should have them.
Torxhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #12
mcmud
Web Wheeler
1983 CJ8 

I'd like to point out that while some may not most of the aftermarket V/covers will have flanges adequate for the original large washer nuts to hold the drivers side down omitting the need to bore and tap those two holes.

For instance the one pictured in post #3 seems to be a good example. Notice the width of that flange at the studded head bolts.
mcmud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #13
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmud View Post
I'd like to point out that while some may not most of the aftermarket V/covers will have flanges adequate for the original large washer nuts to hold the drivers side down omitting the need to bore and tap those two holes.

For instance the one pictured in post #3 seems to be a good example. Notice the width of that flange at the studded head bolts.
My valve cover flange was indeed big enough and I could have used the nuts that go on to the threaded head studs on the driver said, but in my opinion it is not the best idea. I'm sure the Jeep engineers know more then I do, but to me it never made sense to do it like this in the first place.

Took me all of 10 minutes to tap out the holes on the driver side and I was good to go.
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
twoscooterz
1986 CJ7 

I am getting ready to install an aluminum cover. Where can I get a bottom tap? Napa?
'86 CJ7 Laredo, 258, Weber 38, DUI, T5 w/Hurst shifter, 4.56 Dana 30, AMC 20, Detroit TruTrac, Moser axles & Blue Torch truss, Dana 300, stock YJ springs SUA, 33" MTR's, Poison Spyder sliders, NewGen tank cover, Warn 9.5ti w/synthetic rope
twoscooterz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2010, 07:52 AM   #15
benullman
1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galt View Post
I just installed one about a month ago. You do have to tap those two holes on the drivers side. I went to far and had to repair it. I broke through into the coolant passage. Whoops. It was an easy fix with some epoxy putty but it would have been better if I didn't have to go through all that.

If you only drill down about a 1/2" you should be fine. Be real carefull though. I would suggest using a dull drill bit. You know how a sharp one likes to get ahead of itself if your not real cautious. I did use RTV on the cork gasket. It's sealing fine. I also did not bother with the nut on the backside by the firewall. It is a PITA to get to.

Have fun.
not to hijack but, why so you have your heater core hose going to the right side of your jeep? you have a great looking setup (similar to mine) and mine hang down on the left.

Ben
benullman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.