inline fuel pump? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > inline fuel pump?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 09-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
kleedian
1984 CJ7 

inline fuel pump?

I just purchased my first jeep, the prior owner changed out motors about 10 yrs ago and dropped in a 4.3 v6 out of 98 chevy. This is strickly going to be an offroad jeep.
According to the hanes book it takes 63 psi for this motor to properly run.

It has 2 inline electric fuel pumps? not sure why. the first one is about 18" from the tank and the other is 2' from the motor. wouldnt it make more sense to just have one pump?

The reason I ask is because one of the pumps is making a lot of noise when the line gets up to pressure.

kleedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

You should only need one pump. You can find inline pumps made for fuel injection on most sites like summit or jegs. I'm assuming that's why you're needing such high psi?
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #3
kleedian
1984 CJ7 

its a fuel injected motor, i guess thats why it needs so much psi. I have a pump on another car thats carburated an it only needs 4-6 psi
kleedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #4
Blakescj7
1985 CJ7 

First I'd check and see what type of pumps they are. If neither is for FI then ditch them and get one you know the psi rating on. The oem fuel rail should have a fuel pressure port you can check psi with a guage from oreilys or where ever. Check and make sure you're getting the pressure the system is designed for.
Blakescj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
Spieg8
1984 CJ8 

2 pumps are common. The one near the tank is probably a low pressure priming pump (these are installed to pull gas out of the tank and get it to the second pump). The pump near the motor is probably the high pressure pump (these are great for pushing a lot of pressure, but don't pull worth a damn... that's why the priming pump is there to get the gas to the high pressure pump). If you had a high pressure pump inside the tank, that would work fine by itself because it only pulls the gas a few inches from the pickup tube.

And it's pretty normal for electric pumps to make some noise.
Spieg8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.