infamous "rip" in door beside vent window - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > infamous "rip" in door beside vent window

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-14-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
renegadefan1
1981 CJ8 

infamous "rip" in door beside vent window

rebuilding my doors today. everything pretty straigtforward so far. but a couple questions if anyone has restored their full hard doors.

- is the vent window bar that goes down into the window slightly curved or arc'd. not sure if mine is bent..or if they are curved slightly anyway. i am sure i need a new regulator as mine hard to operate when once its been removed. but the window was very hard to move up and down by hand after the regulator was removed..and the weatherstripping is origianl...so it wasnt like it was in there tight.

- also i was going to take the doors to town and get the tears on both sides of the vent windows welded, but i am sure if i dont brace it somehow it will rip again. what have you done to prevent this from happening? both of mine are ripped on the inside and the outside about an inch or so.

thanks in advance

renegadefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #2
baldfatdad

I know on the CJ8 site there is a complete write up and pics of how to rebuild doors and reinforce them so they don't crack again.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
mproads

Hey renegadefan1, do a search for Jscherb's gaucho build. Starting on page 67 he goes
through rebuilding full metal doors, including how to stiffen the doors to fix the rips. Also
do a search on "full metal doors" there are some threads out there with some good tips.
mproads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

Check this out and don't forget to click on the links included in a few posts.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/fu...verhaul-37228/
jdboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
illinicj
1979 CJ7 

I used jscherb's method... Got some small angle iron at the local hardware store and welded it in place, both sides of the glass, the full width of the door. Mine were ripped on both the inside and outside skins and I found out had been welded and repaired before, only to rip again. With the angle, the door is now VERY much more sturdy and it will definitely not rip again.
illinicj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2012, 11:29 PM   #6
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mproads View Post
Hey renegadefan1, do a search for Jscherb's gaucho build. Starting on page 67 he goes
through rebuilding full metal doors, including how to stiffen the doors to fix the rips...
Yep, starts at post 997. Very detailed and informative. Post up your pics and details. Many of us have to do this too.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ga...2/index67.html

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 04:38 PM   #7
weapon
1983 CJ7 

I just got done doing Jscherb's reinforcement on my doors. Well worth taking the extra time to do it.
weapon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.