Indicator lights came on randomly and then smoke!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Indicator lights came on randomly and then smoke!!!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitClayton Off Road - Come see us at these events!

Unread 08-15-2009, 06:51 PM   #1
jeepva10

Indicator lights came on randomly and then smoke!!!

Hey Jeep knowledge,

I have had my 1978 Jeep cj7 for about 3 weeks now and I have been tinkering doing little things here and there. Its quite fun and a money pit as I am sure everyone knows!

Anyways, I wired up an ignition switch on the dash due to the gears and rod in the column being beyond repair. Everything has been fine, the thing runs really good actually (304). Well I was messing around under the dash because my flasher doesn't work and I took the fuse out for the gauges cleaned it off and put it back in. Started up the Jeep and everything was good until the gauges light starting working which I thought (awesome!). Then smoke starting coming out from under the dash. After it cleared I could see the black wire on the "run" terminal was melted and burnt all the way up.

Anyways, what do you think could've happened? The lights came on and just drew too much amperage? Not good grounds? It looks like the previous owner sprayed everything with paint, I mean everything!

Oh and I also removed the little light bulb under the dash that comes on when you turn the headlight switch. Is that part of the circuit and when I removed it all the voltage went there it and was a roadblock?

Where do you guys think I should start?

Thanks for the help

jeepva10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Im guessing that the ground melted because the PO. I would get the paint cleaned off or start tracing and taging wires so you know where they go. Grounds dont normally melt before the fuse goes unless you or PO bridged something that still allowed power to go across it. What size fuse is in there?
thantos858 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #3
jeepva10

the fuse was a 15 amp i believe... but looking at the factory wiring harness in my haynes just now, it appears the wire goes from the ignition to the little light and then to the fuse block. Does that make any sense?
jeepva10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
thantos858
Web Wheeler
1974 CJ5 

Not really but I dont have easy access to my FSM but it wouldn't supprise me if thats how its supposed to go. I would replace that light and ground and see what happens.
thantos858 is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.