Inboard vs Outboard Brake Drums (70 CJ5) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Inboard vs Outboard Brake Drums (70 CJ5)

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
jco6560
1970 CJ5 

Inboard vs Outboard Brake Drums (70 CJ5)

Anyone know when Jeep switched to 'outboard' brake drums (mounted outside the wheel hub)? I have a 70 CJ5 with 10 inch outboard drums, but not sure if that is original. I believe the 10 inch drums were factory option with V6 225 by 1970, whereas a lot of the Kaiser era jeeps for the mid-60's used inboard 9 inch drums. Were 10 inch inboards ever used or is that when the switch to outboards occurred?

As usual thanks for all the input - James

jco6560 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
jco6560
1970 CJ5 

Additional Info

These would be on the stock Dana 27 front axle with closed knuckles.
-thanks
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
colojeepguy
1970 CJ5 

V6 CJ's did come with 10" brakes stock
If you want a cheap & easy upgrade, get some 11" drums & backing plates from a 72-75 CJ.
Easy swap, better brakes, and parts are much cheaper & easier to find.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
jco6560
1970 CJ5 

Seems like the few times I've looked into doing an 11inch drum swap, I run into some complications - its not just a straight swap out. Did the AMC 72-75 jeeps use the same Dana 27 or did they go to the Dana 30? I also think that is when open knuckle came around, so the 72-75 backing plate is different and won't work with the closed knuckle on the Dana 27. I could be wrong about all of this...

For this particular 70 CJ, I am trying to keep very original and I am not overly disappointed with the 10 inch drums so far (I only run 31s). So...where the factory 10 inch drums for the V6 outboard? All the older 9 inch drums were inboard that I have seen?
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:29 AM   #5
CSP

The '72-75 did use the Dana 30. The 11" drums can be used on the Dana 27. I donated them from my '75 to a guy that installed them on a Dana 27. I don't know the details of the swap, but I know it was successful.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
brakes , cj-5 , drums

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.