I'm going to buy a Jeep cj7, what should I check before my purchase? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I'm going to buy a Jeep cj7, what should I check before my purchase?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 08-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
Alextremblay40

I'm going to buy a Jeep cj7, what should I check before my purchase?

I have found a 1977 Cj 7 seems to be in great shape, it had a fiberglass tub swap. The 258ci i6 engine was rebuilt ten years ago and has 25,000km on it. Its been in a barn sitting for a few months aswell, Can anyone tell me what to look for when I take this bad boy out?

image.jpg

Alextremblay40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

A couple of things up front...

Chances are the original ignition system has been changed out. This would be a GOOD thing! The original for this year was made by Prestolite. Ask. If you're told it's orginal or a Prestolite, you will be spending some money out to change it. If you hear it has an HEI or perhaps a Ford or Motorcraft or an MSD, those are all good to hear.

Rust is your worst enemy. It attacks the frame EVERYWHERE. Look carefully around the body mounts and spring and shock mounts.

If anything spins or twists, look at where it comes out of the housing for it. Shiny oil means it's leaking NOW. If it's dirty and greasy it's still leaking; just not as fast and may be acceptable.

There shouldn't be oil or greas or "wet spots" on the back sides of the wheel drums. That means either a brake fluid or wheel bearing leak.

The Jeep is going to be 36 years old. Things are going to break; some, it seems, just by looking at them. This is normal even for a Chevy or a Ford or a Cadillac. Prepare to spend money on repairs.
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

WELCOME
How good of a mechanic are you?
Mice LOVE to eat the insulation on wires........
LG
LumpyGrits is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Alextremblay40

Thank you for the info, I'm decent with older motors not much of an electrical guy tho.
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Get a copy of the REAL Factory Service Manual(FSM)and I don't mean Haynes etc.
The REAL FSM has full wiring diagrams, etc.
LG
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
walkerhoundvm
1981 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumpyGrits View Post
Get a copy of the REAL Factory Service Manual(FSM)and I don't mean Haynes etc.
The REAL FSM has full wiring diagrams, etc.
LG

You really should put this in your signature, LG, so you don't have to keep posting it.
walkerhoundvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
dg6772
1986 CJ7 

Sweet looking CJ! They already covered most everything except po " fixes" look for things that don't look right. They probably aren't.
Good luck!

Dave in Muskegon
dg6772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:03 PM   #8
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

To me, the fact that it's got a fiberglass body indicates that's it's led a hard life. Most likely it was rusted beyond repair, or wrecked. I'd check the frame, suspension, and all other metal parts closely. A little paint can hide a multitude of problems underneath.

Make sure the engine hasn't been warmed up before you get there, you want to cold start it to make sure the carb is functioning properly. Obviously, take it for a spin, and pay close attention to how it handles, idles, accelerates, and brakes. Run thru all the gears, including 4H and 4L with the hubs engaged.

I'd also pull a few plugs. They often give clues to the condition of the engine, and the tuning.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhoundvm View Post
You really should put this in your signature, LG, so you don't have to keep posting it.

Doesn't change the fact.......
Fact's are stubborn things.......
LG
Unread 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
LumpyGrits
1985 CJ7 

O.P, do you have to pass any kind of SMOG testing like we do here in the states?
IF YES, have it tested/passed BEFORE handing over any $$$$
LG
Unread 08-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Alextremblay40

No smog test required for years under 1982 in Canada.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.