I'm back - sort of. Soon. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > I'm back - sort of. Soon.

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 12-14-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
LobstahJeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'm back - sort of. Soon.

Back in 1998, I got this 82 CJ7 for $500 with brand new tires on it. Needed some body work, and the paint was crap. Very quickly (like, it took us a day to "fix the body" AND spray bomb it) it looked much better. I drove it until the trans exploded on the highway (that was NOT a fun thing). I ended up selling it as is to someone I knew, and ever since then I've wanted another one.

Fast forward to right now. I have had my 89 Jetta GLI for ten years and I barely drive it anymore. A guy in Seattle has agreed on a price with me, and and money from that will go straight into a CJ7.

Now here are some questions, since I have been out of the loop for 16 years:
What do I need to look for when buying a CJ7 nowadays? I know, frame and body rust are bad. What else?
I am mainly looking for another 82-86, trying to stick with the wide track and dana300 because that is what I am used to.
I still don't want any automatics, so looking for a 4 or 5 speed is key.
My price range is around $5000, give or take. I've seen some REALLY nice CJ's pop up around here (New England), but I am not ready to buy just yet.

I have no problems finding one down south and towing it back up here, do I need to do anything special to tow it behind a truck?

Here's the former, in all her crappy body work and Home Depot Orange spraypaint:

LobstahJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #2
billycole7
1986 CJ7 

That looks like a hell of a deal you got for $500.00! I bet you are kicking yourself for selling it!
billycole7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
certifiablejeep
Bicentennial Nickel

1976 CJ5 

If you buy one up in New England, you really have to go over it with a fine tooth comb as if it has lived its life here, it has rust more than likely.

Going down South or out West and bringing one back is a great idea, but it will dent the budget. Tolls, hotel, food, gas, etc. add up quick, but it is the correct way to get a Jeep that should have little to no rust in it.

It is all how you plan on towing... wheels up on a dolly, wheels all 4 on the ground, or all 4 up on a trailer, many options, many ideas.

Nothing special to tow, you can disconnect the drive shaft(s) if you want to have both absolutely free and no worries of hurting anything or put it in Neutral with both the tranny and trans case and remove the rear drive shaft and leave the front hubs open.

Good luck.

cb

CertifiableJeep website
'76 ORANGE CJ-5
'76 MAROON CJ-5
'78 SILVER CJ-7
'82 WHITE CJ-8 Build Thread
'83 GREEN UK CJ-7 Build Thread
ORANGE JEEP CLUB #41
SILVER JEEP CLUB #41
SIENNA JEEP CLUB #62
RHD JEEP CLUB #41

NEWJO Member
Forum
certifiablejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2014, 09:34 AM   #4
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Off topic, but you are only the second person I've seen that had a GLI. Seems to be one of the rarest trim packages. I had an '88 4 door, awesome car!

Good luck with the Jeep.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.