Ignition Wiring CJ2A - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > Ignition Wiring CJ2A

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ignition Wiring CJ2A

I have a 1948 CJ2A that I am trying to make the engine run. The jeeps wiring has been totally gutted because it was a cobbled mess. I am trying to make sure I have the bare minimum wiring just to get motor to start. Based on the picture I drew in paint is there anything missing if I jump the solenoid and apply the power to the ignition circuit the way it's laid out.

Notes: The jeep is converted to 12v but the ignition is still 6v to my knowledge. The ballast resistor is there to knock the voltage down for the 6v coil.

image-2771375835.jpg  
TechJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
98blacksahara
1951 CJ3A 

Looks pretty good to me. Just "bump" the starter over and see if its getting spark at the plugs.

Here is a full diagram for when you redo the rest of it

But I'm sure someone out there will post that they regularly eat turd sandwiches with no problems...
98blacksahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
HandsOn

If that's a ground wire from the battery to the coil, you don't need it. First, the coil's body does not need a ground, and second, if you have it attached to the negative post on the coil, it won't spark.
The coil negative should only have the wire from the points to it. Sometimes a tach will hook there too, but if not running a tach, the distributor wire is the only one.

And just in case you're starting from scratch, the largest battery cable from the negative side goes to the engine block, while another smaller jumper should go to the body. And even one to the frame if you have that option. If not, jumpering ground wires/cables/straps between the engine and body, engine and frame, and anywhere else you care to put them, can make for a much better performing electrical system.

Good luck.

Paul
HandsOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #4
TechJeeper
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the help guys I wired it like in my first picture without the wire from the coil to the neg battery terminal. I got it to run for all of 10 seconds and it idles rough but when I revved it up it smoothed out until 1500-2000(W.A.G) where it seemed to stall out and then die like it ran out of gas. But bottom line it ran. Thank you guys. Now it's time for tear down and rebuild of the whole jeep.
TechJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.