ignition upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > ignition upgrade

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineVisit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-14-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
uglydoug

ignition upgrade

hello again...i need to upgrade my ignition but need advice on what is best ...i have check the net and catalogs and have not found the answer i am looking for. so here is the question....a 74 258 stock what is the best ignition upgrade for the money...everything i have read points to the mallory but the most popular does not mean the best......doug

uglydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2003, 05:03 PM   #2
CJ7Danny

The least expensive would prolly be the Nutter by-pass (I don't know if those had a computer or not), combined with the Ford 300 ci distributor cap and rotor, and the MSD Blaster 3 coil.

Or, you can consider upgrading to a late model GM HEI distributor. I think you can pick those up for pretty cheap as well.

Danny
T176
Moser One Piece Axles
D300, D30, AMC 20, 258 ci
Motorcraft 2100 swap
Nutter By-Pass
Custom front bumpers
Custom Rear bumper/tire carrier
CJ7Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #3
eight

Do this
eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2003, 05:05 PM   #4
uglydoug

eight ...i read the article but the years dont match the info on the page states" The Jeep 258 CID I-6 from 1978 to 1990" so i am not sure if will work with my jeep....uglydoug
uglydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2003, 07:34 PM   #5
eight

You would need the distributor from a newer 258. Rest is the same.
eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
Brandon Miller

I just dropped the coin for the DUI ignition, not sure if it is worth it or not.. (it's in the mail)
Brandon Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 11:28 AM   #7
CSP

First of all the Nutter Bypass is for computer controlled Jeeps. Not applicable to a '74.

No matter what upgrade you do you're going to have to replace the distributor. With that in mind the easiest upgrade will be to go with GM HEI. It's a one wire hookup as opposed to several wires and an ignition module with the '78 and up Duraspark (Motorcraft) system. If you already had the newer setup, the TFI upgrade would be the way to go.

Now if I could just find Larry Maggio's HEI upgrade webpage to give you some part numbers and install info.

Found it: http://www.geocities.com/jeeperaz/hei.htm

Stay away from DUI unless you want to pay over $300 for something you can build yourself for $100.
CSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2003, 11:31 AM   #8
Brandon Miller

true on the money - but it comes to time..

I build all my stuff but pick n choose my battles for time. The dist at the auto parts store was $150, then ya gotta buy the rest. I do think you can save but for the $75 - $100 saving and the loss of time I but the bullet. Mine is a tad more rare, I have a buick 225. The DUI is cheaper for this one too for some reason, course shipped etc it is still 3 bones (the others are closer to 4!). I don't doubt it cost more but ya gotta splurge sometimes, plus there is the brag factor
Unread 03-17-2003, 11:34 AM   #9
Brandon Miller

from that link you are lookin at $165 at the high on his prices, but then ya gotta go through the headache of huntin for parts, etc..

Kit was $300, and when it comes in the mail I put it in and be done with it.
Unread 03-17-2003, 06:41 PM   #10
hollywood

I found the HEI distributer in a local junk yard for $25, and just ordered the drive gear from 4WD for $24.99 plus shipping. Between the wires I got with the distributer, and ones I have lying around I'll be able to make something work. Add to that a new cap and rotor and I'll have a pretty good ignition for around $75. I'll post as soon as I get it all finished to let you know how it works.
hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.